Anschutz purchase advice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JohnDabbar

Anschutz purchase advice

Post by JohnDabbar »

Looking for some purchase advice. I shot competitively with an Anschutz in college (40+ years ago!) and planning to get back into it. Planning to buy an Anschutz competition rifle and iron sights and looking for advice on the best combo. Probably the last long gun I’ll ever buy, so more interested in quality and enjoying myself vs price.

Note: Left handed shooter, so it seems I’m limited to 7020L/20 sight set and 1907L Target with 54 Match action.

Any advice welcome!
Tim S

Re: Anschutz purchase advice

Post by Tim S »

John,

Welcome back to the sport. You've asked a hard question on such limited information. For starters, are you planning to shoot 3P or just prone? Next, do you want an all-Anschutz rifle, or would you consider mixing parts?

You mentioned being restricted to the 1907, is this because you specifically want a lighter barrel, say for 3P? Anschutz still make the heavier 1913 left handed; the action is exactly the same as the 1907, but the barrel is slightly longer and heavier. Interestingly Anschutz now list the 54.30 as available in left hand, where it wasn't at its debut a few years ago; the 54.30 is a development of the 1907 with a shorter bolt (and a few changes to the barrel breeching). I presume the new 22Max will be ambidextrous, at least the action, as it's not a rotary bolt.

For 19xx/54.30 barrel/actions, Anschutz now make just two stocks: the aluminium 1918 Precise, and wooden 1907. The 1918 has far more built-in ergonomic adjustment, ie it will likely fit you much better than the 1907, but is more expensive. Other firms make Match 54 compatible stocks if you want to mix 'n' match: Grunig & Elmiger, Keppeler, MEC, Tesro, Tec-Hro, Esprit Carabine, and System Gemini.

In terms of rearsights the Centra Spy is ambidextrous. The Centra 10-50 is technically handed, but practically can be turned around and an eyepiece screwed in from the other side.

However, a new rifle isn't the only option. Anschutz have made true left hand rifles since 1980. You may have to wait and search a bit, but an 1813L, like this https://www.gunbroker.com/item/982484671, or a used 1913L would be a good deal cheaper than new.

Alternatively, a left field suggestion would be a Walther KK500: a true ambidextrous bolt (converts between LH and RH) and stock. The KK500 is starting to dominate ISSF matches.
Last edited by Tim S on Mon May 29, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkg2102

Post by jkg2102 »

it's so funny to see this post tonight.

i also shot with an Anschutz 64 match rifle back around 1990 in college - even then, it was an old team/school rifle. (we also had a re-stocked winchester 52, but one of my team mates had his own 1913, and I always worshipped that thing). 30+ years later, kids are leaving for school and I am working on a new hobby for myself. Although I dont have a local place to shoot (i live in new york, the state of oppression), I too am looking to buy a position rifle. my fantasy has me with a new 1913, but my wallet is holding me back...
The discounted used rifles I have found online don't have the same appeal. If not now, then when? (Hard to use that logic on my spouse and also my conscience/wallet)
JohnDabbar

Post by JohnDabbar »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Just ordered a 1907L with 7020L/20 sights. Anschutz team in Alabama were super helpful.
OdieRedmond

Post by OdieRedmond »

Need you two shooting prone…..