Removing a Daisy 599 Barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

casiel1969

Removing a Daisy 599 Barrel

Post by casiel1969 »

Has anyone removed the barrel from a Daisy 599? I contacted Daisy and they had no information on how to do it though they did send me a schematic. From what I can tell you have to pretty much disassemble the receiver to get at the second grub screw for it. If that's the case I'd love to know if someone did it and maybe ran into any "gotchas" along the way. I needed to get the barrel re-crowned and they need it out to mount in the lathe. Thanks in advance!
Rover

Re: Removing a Daisy 599 Barrel

Post by Rover »

I don't know the answer to your question. If the crown is only a little screwed, you can put a brass round head screw in a drill, coat it with valve grinding compound, and polish it out.

If you use Fine grinding compound you can use the leftover to "firelap" a few bores.
casiel1969

Re: Removing a Daisy 599 Barrel

Post by casiel1969 »

Just wanted to post an update. Had to go to a gunsmith in the end. He took one look at the barrel end and told me it was clipping. While he was re-crowning it I had him thread the end and move the mounting point for the front sight. Now I can put a silencer on it for the neighbors and I'm getting one hole groups no problem. WAY better than the 2" groups I was getting at 10m before. I had to remove the barrel and put it back and it wasn't too bad. I got a schematic from Daisy/BSA that helped and there were only two screws under other screws that were a tad tricky. Unfortunately I'll never be able to sell it since it's now totally customized, lol. Guess this will be the one my son learns on now when I'm done with it.