Air shutter Baikal IZH-46M never opens after initial pump

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
breadfan

Re: Air shutter Baikal IZH-46M never opens after initial pump

Post by breadfan »

Thank you, yes, I am living in Europe.

And ooofff. Problem solved. Not that there really was much smart thinking involved by me.
I just found out that my new Baikal (from 2019) had exact the same problem.

So it was the pellet. Above I mentioned that I tried giving the pellets an extra push.
These attempts most likely did not actually move the pellets.
In both pistols pushing (or plopping) the pellets at least half a centimeter further in the barrel made the problem go away.

A quick search on the internet did not give any result, but I would strongly advice not to use the "Baracuda Green 4,5 mm / .177 cal." from H&N for a Baikal 46m. Unless you've got a workaround of course.
They (the skirts) are (or could be) too big and hard to push them far enough in the barrel.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

If he is in Europe send it to Russia.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A combination of hard (tin) pellets with oversized skirts and worn seals could be the problem. The pistol may only have enough force to get the tin pellets started in the bore. Then they would fire more normally on the second attempt.
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:24 pm A combination of hard (tin) pellets with oversized skirts and worn seals could be the problem. The pistol may only have enough force to get the tin pellets started in the bore. Then they would fire more normally on the second attempt.
Sounds like a great explanation. Perhaps while the air can not really go anywhere at that moment that it does not sound like a shot.

It's nice to have the mysteries out of the way.

I could open a new thread. But a step further in this topic can have some advantage.

Do you perhaps know about a tin pellet that does work with the Baikal 46m?

With tin I only shoot in the house. Accuracy is nice but the main goal is to have tin pellets (in house).

Update:
On my other computer I have a bookmark to this page:
https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.ph ... mendations

PhatMan mentions JSB Match Light (Green tin), JSB Match Medium (orange tin).

Could be that JSB tin pellets function better with the Baikal 46m. Advice is welcome.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

They are talking about the color of the "tin" can the pellets come in, not the material the pellets are made out of. All the pellets listed in that article are made of lead.
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:50 pm They are talking about the color of the "tin" can the pellets come in, not the material the pellets are made out of. All the pellets listed in that article are made of lead.
ai, I'm ashamed! Thanks G for pointing out.

Sorry, this is that stupid, that it probably be better to remove.

But anyway. I think it's great that H&N makes effort to produce these tin pellets. Could be that JSB sticks more with lead.

Anybody any experience with tin in the Baikal?
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

So, this could be my last post for this topic.
About the shutter that won't open after the first pump problem.

I ordered other lead free pellets.
Close to my home I could not find a webstore at which I could order JSB match.

But I got:
JSB Exact
H&N Match Green
RWS Hyperdome

Don't expect too much. Just a little test (only about functioning lead free pellets in Baikal 46M):
I only counted the pellet after the first pump.

Correct of 8 pellets (with 4 per pistol).
First score is old pistol. Second score is new pistol.

H&N Match Green 0 4
JSB Exact 4 4
RWS Hyperdome 2 3

After this, I shot 20 JSB Exact pellets with my old pistol.
This is the pistol which I used when starting this topic and which shoots with the least power I think.
It produces less sound and has the least correct pellets in the little test mentioned above.

19 pellets of the 20 where correct. Could be that all JSB Exact pellets would be correct with the new pistol while it could have more power.

Thank you all. It was fun and interesting.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:24 pm A combination of hard (tin) pellets with oversized skirts and worn seals could be the problem. The pistol may only have enough force to get the tin pellets started in the bore. Then they would fire more normally on the second attempt.
Exactly the problem I had recently, but I did not recognize from author's description that it was the same one.
I'd say that such pellets just make already existing problem more obvious.

BTW, I never saw or heard about anybody using any tools for inserting pellets in izzy other than a thumb nail :)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you do a search on "pellet seaters', there have been quite a few marketed over the years. I have one of these buried somewhere:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/12 ... s-it-work/

Lots of people used to use the pointed cap from a cheap Bic pen...
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

Gwhite wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:11 pm If you do a search on "pellet seaters', there have been quite a few marketed over the years. I have one of these buried somewhere:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/12 ... s-it-work/

Lots of people used to use the pointed cap from a cheap Bic pen...
I like the idea of having something to give this extra push.
But the rear sight of the pistol does make it feel very shitty to push.
There must be a reasonable angle because of the rear sight, cock etc.

But to make it more concrete. Tin pellets that are too big to function with this pistol are no fun to give an extra push.
For me it took a while to find a Bic pen. Where I live those pens are getting more and more rare.
Most likely because they write like ****.

I need to use that much force for moving the pellet, that I feel it's getting crooked inside my hand. No doubt it would brake within a short while.