Hawke 30mm red dot info

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Froneck

Hawke 30mm red dot info

Post by Froneck »

My son Adam purchased a Hawke 30mm red dot. Intensity at max setting 11 is only as bright as Matchdot on 4. It's as though battery is weak though it's new. To test he interchanged batteries with Matchdot. No noticeable change in Hawke's dot intensity but Matchdot got slightly brighter with the newer battery. So it's not a battery issue.
Anyone know if the intensity of the dot on his Hawke is normal or does he have a bad scope? Got is Opticsplanet so he can send it back for a replacement or refund if the intensity is as made.
PeeWeeDaddy

Re: Hawke 30mm red dot info

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

HAWKE red dot are not the best quality.
Send it back and buy a match dot.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Send both back and buy some iron sights - this is Olympic shooting.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Many Bullseye shooters, now called Precision Pistol in the US, use red dot sights. It is an accepted practice for Precision Pistol competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRA_Precision_Pistol
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

I stand corrected . . . noting our title: "Target Talk - a forum to talk about . . . whatever is in between."

So in NRA Precision Pistol, is their TWO separate classes segregating IRON vs. OPTICS; or do they lump both together?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Lumped together, for the most part. I never shoot with a red dot and often compete against those that do. It seems to allow older shooters to continue in the sport as their eyes age. Younger shooters often enjoy learning to use the dot and pick it up quickly, as well.

For the OP, the Bushnell TRS-25 seems to be a great dot for a very small amount of money. We have two shooters using them. They are using the version with the 1x 20 mm aperture. I cannot speak to the 1x 25 mm version.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1325593456?pid=593456
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

If you're referring to the Hawke Vantage then the one I have in 20mm is plenty bright enough outside in the sun