Club/youth smallbore rifle options

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

blg

Club/youth smallbore rifle options

Post by blg »

Now that Anschutz has discontinued the 1903 what are some other options for 4-H clubs with small kids? We continue to grow and had applied and received a NRA grant for 2 new ones this year and just received the email that they weren’t available. Talk about a kick in the gut.
bdutton

Re: Club/youth smallbore rifle options

Post by bdutton »

I am surprised that CC stopped providing the 1903 and 1903-JR. Maybe a call to their store might be a good idea as they just migrated to a new online storefront and maybe some inventory is not available online.

Also, the Anschutz North America site shows they have the 1903:

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/match-models.html
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Also I see the 1903 junior available in Canada:

https://www.tesro.ca/anschutz-1903-juni ... rifle.html
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Someone posted an Anschutz Achiever in the for sale section of this forum.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Try the Savage FVT1. solid rifle, aperture sights are quite adequate. The stock is a plastic noodle, but I stuffed mine in a Boyds ATOne, Add a Rifle Basix drop in trigger and you've got a solid rifle for 800 ish, thats retail...... CMP has a club price a lot better for the rifle than I paid..... Mine will 99 and occasionally clean prone kneeling and sitting. I lost a bunch of a foot so my offhand is in the 70s, but its not the rifle
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

I would like to post an image of a jr rifle I recently
Completed for our club.
I took a Ruger Precision RF, added a 6inch bloop tube,
11mm mount for rear sight, correct front sight block and Crossman match sights. Final weight was 7.89 pounds.
My test group should it could easily hold 10ring at 50yrds.
jhmIII

Post by jhmIII »

I think blg is looking for guns that are "international" 3P style rifles.
Very hard to find here in the US these days.
I'm always on the lookout for 1912, 1914 rifles as well as the FWB2700 (lites). Almost anything in LH I take a serious look at .... nothing sadder than watching a lefty try and operate the RH guns.
Of course you can occasionally find a KK500 used, but the prices these days are crazy.

Before Obama cut them off from imports the Izmash CM-2's were very good options ... we have 4 and I'd always look at those. Not great triggers, but still get the job done with my intermediates. (I added ext tubes and swapped Anschutz style rails)

Another gun we use (pretty much only for our smaller beginners) is the Ruger American (sorta similar to the SVT) with a single shot mag adapter. We got these expecting to use them a lot but we quickly transition our shooters to the CM-2's as they have full length rails.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Remington 540XR and 540XRJR are sort of like a CM-2. I prefer them. To improve the gun you can switch out the Williams rear with a Redfield. I even have changed out the Lyman front with an old 18mm Anschutz with the appropriate height base to give a wider range of available front apertures. Of course all these items are pretty much out of manufacture so you have to go to the secondary market. If you look around for awhile I think that you might be able to keep the total price south of $800.