Adjustable Pistol Rest

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tricky5225

Adjustable Pistol Rest

Post by Tricky5225 »

I was watching a ISSF air pistol match the other evening, and I noticed a small adjustable stand with scissors legs that some of the
competitors had on their table and were resting their air pistol on between shots. It looks like a clever device and I'm wondering where one could be purchased. Thanks
Gwhite

Re: Adjustable Pistol Rest

Post by Gwhite »

They are actually guitar foot rests. The team I help coach tried a couple models, and we settled on this one as the best:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195NQSTO

We shoot air pistol in the rifle range on the Rifle Team's electronic targets, and they have no benches. We bring in standard height folding tables, which are relatively low. The rests are a big help, especially for very tall shooters.
Last edited by Gwhite on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
glenn andrew

Post by glenn andrew »

atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

The guitar rests also help when Marc tries to play "Village People" - bring your own band!
Tricky5225

Post by Tricky5225 »

glenn andrew wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:28 pm Did it look like this?

https://www.easypasters.com/compétiteur ... le-de-tir/
This is exactly what they where using. Thanks. I went to may local music store and they had one in stock. $16.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195NQSTO
rmca

Post by rmca »

One final note, the total height cannot exceed one meter.

6.4.11.10 Each firing point must be provided with the following equipment:
a) A removable or adjustable bench or table, approximately 0.50 m x 0.60 m in size and 0.70 m to 1.00 m high;
b) In Qualification competitions, athletes may place items or support stands on a table to increase the table to a maximum height of 1.00 m;
c) In Finals competitions, pistol athletes may place an adjustable support stand (8.6.3) on the table provided the total table height with stand does not exceed 1.0 m; and (...)
d) A chair or stool for the athlete on Qualification ranges; no chairs or stools for athletes may be placed on or near the firing points on Finals ranges;

and
1.JPG
1.JPG (47.28 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
Hope this helps
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

rmca wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm One final note, the total height cannot exceed one meter.
c) In Finals competitions, pistol athletes may place an adjustable support stand (8.6.3) on the table provided the total table height with stand does not exceed 1.0 m
Okay, so here's whats-his-face at Tokyo Olympics. Tell me this setup is NOT above 1-meter?

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

OK, the top of the rest is about at half his height. If he's less than 2 meters (about 6 & 1/2 feet) tall, he should be OK.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

On that note:
1. What are the dimensions of the two wood boxes used in this picture?
2. Is this a standard dimension for Olympic-level AP? (Same design used at Colorado Springs.)
3. Material used? (from recollection, 3/8" plywood?)

The dimension of the "swing-away" metal "platform" used at CMP Anniston (and CMP Camp Perry, I believe) is:
A. Height = 31.5"
B. Wide = 32"
C. Deep = 12" (starting with the metal bar to the floor being 8 3/4" from the red line.)

Typical height of pistol case = 3 1/2" (no pistol case use in Final, correct?)

This set-up (cut&paste from Amazon):
foot plate dimension 3.8" x 10"
6 height positions available: 4.5", 5.75", 7", 8", 8.5", 9.5"

You could set this to middle position 7" at Anniston and be: 31.5"+7" = 978mm, and still legal in Final?

(Noting, two verbal objections were made to CMP yesterday about still using the "old, old" finals format, in lieu of using "New-New" format to gain finals experience for later application at international matches.)
rmca

Post by rmca »

atomicgale wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:54 pm
rmca wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm One final note, the total height cannot exceed one meter.
c) In Finals competitions, pistol athletes may place an adjustable support stand (8.6.3) on the table provided the total table height with stand does not exceed 1.0 m
Okay, so here's whats-his-face at Tokyo Olympics. Tell me this setup is NOT above 1-meter?

That is Damir Mikec,
https://www.issf-sports.org/athletes/at ... 3103198401

He is 1,82cm according to the ISSF site.
Those tables have to be between 70cm and 100cm high (0.7 and 1 meter for you imperial fraction lovers out there).
Usually the tables are closer to 70 cm rather than one meter. Hence the need for rests.
I'm about he's height, and also need a rest when the range has shorter tables.

For me, it looks like it's close to the one meter mark, but i'm sure it was probably measured before the match/final.
It's very hard to measure from a photo.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

atomicgale wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:30 am The guitar rests also help when Marc tries to play "Village People" - bring your own band!
That's funny right there!!
Marc