bolt lube

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

analretentive

bolt lube

Post by analretentive »

What do y'all use to lubricate the interior of your bolt after disassembly. Striker, springs, etc (Walther KK 500)

Thanks,

Gerry
Tim S

Re: bolt lube

Post by Tim S »

Personally I don't lubricate the striker, or its spring. My storage isn't damp, so the striker is fairly well protected inside the bolt. The thought that oil just adds weight to a system the factory balanced very carefully is in the back of my mind. I do lubricate the cocking cam and locking lugs with grease, moly grease in my case. I suspect the choice of grease isn't critical, but my 2oz pot has lasted 15 years, so I've no need to try anything else. The outside gets a wipe with whatever gun oil, or multi-purpose oil, that I have to hand.
Last edited by Tim S on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Thank you Tim. I'm at about half a case, and first time disassembling the bolt. There is grease on the striker, springs, and sundry parts, some dark, some light. This is the factory lube, and I hate to clean the parts and not replace the lube. I've used PTFE spray on my lesser rifles, but this is not a lesser rifle.

Gerry
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I have found in the past that manufacturers will put a little bit of grease on internal moving parts because they understand that some firearms may not be disassembled and cleaned for a very long time. Gun owners come in many different flavors. Some enjoy the ownership of fine, quality firearms and take great care of them. Some think of their gear, including rifles, as just that; gear. They disassemble when something doesn’t work.
I’m with Tim. A little grease (Shooter’s Choice All-Weather High Tech Grease) on bearing surfaces. Also, because I live in an area that is humid most of the year, a wipe-down with a very light gun oil (Break Free) first applied previously to a clean cloth for metal parts that might rust. Be careful with aerosol oil as they tend to apply excessive amounts.
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Thank you rgibson. How does this sound?

1. Disassemble the bolt and remove all foreign matter with lighter fluid or equivalent, and wipe down with a clean, lint free towel.

2. Apply Anschutz Keramic or equivalent to the striker, striker slot, and springs. Remove all excess oil with a clean, lint free towel.

3. Apply a small amount of Shooters Choice grease or equivalent to the bottom of the striker, and to the rotating, and bearing surfaces as you re-
assemble the bolt.

4. Wipe the exterior surfaces of the bolt with Keramic or equivalent and remove all excess.

5. Apply a small amount of Shooters Choice grease or equivalent to the ramps and lugs.

Yeah, I know I'm anal. If you have something to add or subtract; please do.

Thanks,

Gerry
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Interesting. After shooting in my new 500, during my first 60 shot match the bolt literally siezed up. A wipe over of light oil and graphite grease (spareingly) on the recoil lugs it hasn't put a foot wrong.
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Recoil lugs?
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

analretentive wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:14 pm Recoil lugs?
Perhaps he meant the bolt locking lugs.
------
Allen Corneau
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

certainly.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

The critical thing would be to not get grease in the firing pin or striker channel which might impede momentum.