Options for a S.E. Pennsylvanian looking to get into 10m Air competitively

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

CWayneK

Options for a S.E. Pennsylvanian looking to get into 10m Air competitively

Post by CWayneK »

I am from Philadelphia. I used to shoot CMP and skeet shooting events as a teen, but now that I am in my mid-20s, I would like to get back into shooting sports, specifically 10m air rifle, and competitively at that. Does anyone have any recommendations as to practicing/coaching or any ranges around here that could get me started here? Truly any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Kind of a dearth of information given my locale as it stands.

I talked to USA Shooting and they recommended a range called Palmyra. Although it is two hours away, I am leaning towards giving it a shot because USA Shooting says that it is a certified facility for 10m air. Has anyone shot there, or have any experience with it?

Anyways, I am someone trying to break into this sport and would like to know how to get involved. Thanks!
PeeWeeDaddy

Re: Options for a S.E. Pennsylvanian looking to get into 10m Air competitively

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

Check with the NRA or the US Olympic Committee
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

There is New Holland in Gap PA. It's about half way between Phili and Palmyra.

Also University Rifle Club in Reading.

I'd check out Shooting Sports USA coming events page. It's broken down by discipline, but you should be able to find some info for PA, regardless of activity.

Hope this helps.

B
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

CWayne,
I no longer live in PA and have not shot at Palmyra in ten to twelve years, but they have a top-notch air rifle and small bore there. I can't say enough good things about their program and facility. In other words, yes it is a long drive, but I highly recommend it!

New Holland also has a nice indoor range, so that would be worth check out. You also might look into Lower Providence Rifle & Pistol; I understand they have two indoor ranges, but I do not know exactly what facilities they have. I have shot my air rifle in their original indoor range, but there was no dedicated air gun program there that I remember (but sharing the indoor range with the pistols shooters there is good for improving one's concentration!)

Chuck
erikre

Post by erikre »

Glad to see you want to get back into the shooting sports. Unfortunately, to shoot air rifle competitively you're going to have to travel. There just isn't much around here competitively, that I am aware of, unless you are a junior. Even our juniors don't practice air rifle much until it gets closer to an event. As listed above, Palmyra is the best choice for air rifle matches. They host the Palmyra Invitational every January and not sure about the Vicki Jockers memorial. There isn't anything listed on the calendar yet for the memorial shoot. The majority of local events are 3P-4P-prone indoor smallbore and outdoor conventional prone. Best thing you can do is practice locally and then travel to matches. This is the main reason I haven't bought an air rifle. Can't justify the expense for one time a year usage. If you want to go the smallbore route let me know and I can get you lots more info on upcoming events.
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

I live about a mile north of Phila. so I am right in your area. There are no 10 meter air rifle matches here locally that I know of at the present time, there is however some airgun activity in the local area. Delaware County Field and Stream Assoc. in Brookhaven, PA. has a dedicated airgun range but I don't know if anything is going on there now. Falls Twsp. Rifle and Pistol Assoc. has an active airgun program shooting NRA air rifle and air pistol silhouette and some "club" type matches and AAFTA airgun field target matches. You can check the FTRPA website for match dates. I think the first outdoor silo match is in April and the first Field Target Match is in May. We do have some indoor matches but they are for members and guests of members so you could come to them too but I would need to know ahead of time so I could get you in. Square Circle Sportsmen in Giibsboro, NJ used to run a monday evening indoor silo airgun match but it is for members and don't know if it is still going on.

We don't seem to get much crossover from 10 meters but your 10 meter rifle would work fine for our indoor matches and could be used for outdoor silo as well. Email me if you are interested in coming to Falls, wa2gtj@aol.com.

I wish there was some local 10 meter activity, even though I stink at it, I would shoot it.

Palmyra Sportsmen in Annville, PA is a super nice club and their indoor facility is outstanding. They are having an indoor Field Target (fun) match in March. Check their website too.

I would love to see you get involved.
Rick B.
JerryJ

Post by JerryJ »

erikre wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:17 am The majority of local events are 3P-4P-prone indoor smallbore and outdoor conventional prone.
Hi, I am in near Doylestown, PA and willing to travel an hour or two. Where can I find some prone or 3P matches?
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

North End (prone / 3-p) just north of Foglesville.

Palmyra Sportsmen’s (prone / 3-p / air)

Wilkes-Barre R&P (prone)

New Freedom (prone)
erikre

Post by erikre »

There is a monthly 80 shot outdoor prone match (2 targets at 50 yards and 2 targets at 100) at University Rife Club outside Reading. Start time is 9am and held on the last Saturday of the month from April to October.

North End is hosting an indoor 80 shot match on the A-36 target April 22-23. Contact Eric Gestl for registration. eegestl2010@gmail.com