Wake up, IOC clowns!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Wake up, IOC clowns!

Post by Rover »

You seem to have totally forgotten the original reason for the Olympic games.

It was to show everyone what you could do in battle without killing each other.

I'm not sure where break dancing fits in, but it sounds racist to me.
PirateJohn

Re: Wake up, IOC clowns!

Post by PirateJohn »

The Olympics were also competed naked, if you're really going for originalism, here.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

The Modern Olympics have at times been a vehicle for political warfare as with the Cold War. In that instance violence of a sort was often inflicted on the athletes, as with East German cis female swimmers and weightlifters.

As for the ancient Olympic games, my recollection is that they were held every four years and that warring between Greek city states was suspended during the games, not that the games were a substitute for the wars that were endemic to the area and time period.

I recall during the Vietnam conflict that Norman Mailer suggested having the powers involved directly and indirectly in that conflict have a tournament in the Amazon jungle with equal forces. The winner would rule over Southeast Asia.....
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

PirateJohn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:14 pm The Olympics were also competed naked, if you're really going for originalism, here.
And to avoid embarrassment, the athletes were all given a dose of bromide. When the daughter of one of the Greek senators saw them she cried “Oh, limp pricks”. Over time, this morphed into the name we know today.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

BobGee wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:29 am
PirateJohn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:14 pm The Olympics were also competed naked, if you're really going for originalism, here.
And to avoid embarrassment, the athletes were all given a dose of bromide. When the daughter of one of the Greek senators saw them she cried “Oh, limp pricks”. Over time, this morphed into the name we know today.
Who knew? LOL
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

I can't wait to use that in my High School history class!