Pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

spektr

Re: Pellets

Post by spektr »

Hey Rover, I lost ur phone number, SHOOT it over to me again thanks......
conradin

Post by conradin »

PeeWeeDaddy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:25 pm Daisy
Crosman

Cheap practice pellets.
'Daisy!
conradin

Post by conradin »

Dmaryakh wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:28 am QYS pellets (tins of 500) at SportShootingDepot would be probably the cheapest world class quality pellets to get.
https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/ ... g-pellets/

If planning to buy in bulk - call or shoot an email to get an additional discount
The only problem with them is the packaging. They use very cheap see-thru plastic can. When I got them, quite a few cans were crushed or/and cracked, spilling the pellets. It is the results of putting one can on top of another, etc etc. Naturally some pellets became useless or in need for re-shaping.
spektr

Post by spektr »

PirateJohn wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:16 pm I get Vogel from CMP for my air pistol. A sleeve of 20 tins is under $80 and if I buy two I get free shipping.
Be advised that the tooling that produced the CMP pellets was scrapped and replaced. The remaining stock at CMP isnt the same as the new tooling Vogel Match produced at Podium...... Call Podium, outstanding people there.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

conradin wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:40 am
Dmaryakh wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:28 am QYS pellets (tins of 500) at SportShootingDepot would be probably the cheapest world class quality pellets to get.

If planning to buy in bulk - call or shoot an email to get an additional discount
The only problem with them is the packaging. They use very cheap see-thru plastic can. When I got them, quite a few cans were crushed or/and cracked, spilling the pellets. It is the results of putting one can on top of another, etc etc. Naturally some pellets became useless or in need for re-shaping.
They come now in a tin cans with screw lid so it is not a problem anymore
conradin

Post by conradin »

Dmaryakh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:28 pm

I think QY gets popular because obviously the Chinese team uses it so people want to see if the pellets work for their weapons too. But then again, just because it works for them does not mean it works for the general public. I am sure the Chinese team hand picked the first batch fresh out of the factory, testing them first, then pick what they like, and that leaves the rest of them to be sold to the public. I remember the QY which the Chinese team uses are the type which the pellets put on a plastic sheet, one on top of the other, inside the plastic box. That is, the pellets are not in a shaking box. Nowadays I think every brand has that option. Box with the pellets already organized, as opposed to requiring the individual to get a shaking box.
If an athlete uses a particular brand of pellets in major competition, I am sure that if it is good for them, it is good enough for us. But then we do not know if the pellets they use are from a superior batch after many testing, with each individual pellet hand picked by the coaching staff.
conradin

Post by conradin »

When my vise is repaired, I can then test the Daisy pellets. So far they work well. I put them side by side with my JSB. It seems that the skirts of some of the Daisy pellets are not in perfectly round shape, or inside the skirt it also is not perfect. I also put a bunch of them in the shaking box, the JSB inside it too, to make a side by side comparison. It is a no contest as far as the physical form. For the JSB 1 out of 10 are bad, such as the distorted shape of the skirt, and inside where the head is. For the daisy, it is 1 out of 3. My daisy has a flat nose profile, while the JSB is a true diabolo, so the comparison may not be relevant.

Before I forgot to report, the plastic box Daisy uses for the pellets are crap. The lids of 2 of them were broken, so the pellets spilled all over the mail box they are in. A further examination I also see half of the boxes are semi-broken; the mere act of opening the plastic box can break the lid if you are not careful. I decided to open a couple of them and transfer the pellets into my empty RWS tin cans.
Anyway, I will post more when my vise is functioning again.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

conradin wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:43 pm
Dmaryakh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:28 pm

I think QY gets popular because obviously the Chinese team uses it so people want to see if the pellets work for their weapons too. But then again, just because it works for them does not mean it works for the general public. I am sure the Chinese team hand picked the first batch fresh out of the factory, testing them first, then pick what they like, and that leaves the rest of them to be sold to the public. I remember the QY which the Chinese team uses are the type which the pellets put on a plastic sheet, one on top of the other, inside the plastic box. That is, the pellets are not in a shaking box. Nowadays I think every brand has that option. Box with the pellets already organized, as opposed to requiring the individual to get a shaking box.
If an athlete uses a particular brand of pellets in major competition, I am sure that if it is good for them, it is good enough for us. But then we do not know if the pellets they use are from a superior batch after many testing, with each individual pellet hand picked by the coaching staff.
Chinese team are not the only one using QYS - our own Ginny Thrasher won Rio Olympics with them and she is a big fan of QYS. And she is not the only one. As for testing - at certain level everyone has to test what brand and what batch works for each specific weapon as there is absolutely no guaranty that what works for one gun will work well for another. And when testing you would be taking a look at different brands and different weights/sizes. The good news is that this os irrelevant for anyone who is not nations/elite level shooter and any decent pellets will do.

Btw these are 3 types of QYS - training grade (metal tins), march grade (green plastic box) and Olympic grade (red box). The nationsl team probably used the red ones
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

Not sure if this been shared already - there is a good video about performance of deformed pellets.

https://youtu.be/22q5mjHsGTQ
conradin

Post by conradin »

My tec-hro vise has been repaired. I will let you guys know what is the difference between Daisy and JSB
william

Post by william »

conradin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:17 pm My tec-hro vise has been repaired. I will let you guys know what is the difference between Daisy and JSB
Not exactly. You'll let us know about specific lots of Daisy & JSB.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Testing 2 brands and grades of pellets. Granted I do not have a perfect set up for a test bench, but at least it is equal opportunity when it comes to inaccuracy. I decide to use my biathlon paper targets. The air rifle that was used in this test is my Steyr LGB-1 biathalon. As for the pellets, one is a Daisy Model #557 (4.5mm) flat-nosed Precision Max ($4.49 per 500). The other is JSB Match Diabolo Green Match Light Weight 4.52mm ($20 per 500). I bought both of them in bulk (one dozen each), so they should be of the same batch. Two targets, 5 shot for each target per brand, thus 10 shots per brand. However,I abandoned the fourth target after 2 flyers from 3 shots due to human error. Hence the photo only shows three targets. Wanna guess which target was shot with which brand and which grade? 1 brand shoot 2 targets, the other down to 1 target. It is ok if you cannot figure out which is which, it just shows you that the $4.49 can be shot as good as the $20 one.

From left to right, Daisy (#1), Daisy (#2), and JSB (#3). Daisy #1 has one flyer, and by discounting it we have close to a single hole. Daisy #2 almost has a single hole. JSB has a flyer also, discounting it then it is also almost a single hole. However the single hole of the JSB is not as small as the one by Daisy #1.
Keep in mind that I have one of the best gun vises available (Tec-Hro anti-recoil), but my bench is not completely stable. Maybe some other times I will do it again with a better bench.
Rover

Post by Rover »

PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Rover wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:42 am Here ya go, Big Boy:

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/409
I just got three sleeves of these in this week. They're just fine for training, but I never use them in competitive matches. They do occasionally (about once per tin) fly in very random directions with my pistol, and when I inspect the hole in the target, it isn't circular, telling me that the pellet started tumbling as it exited the barrel.

I do use them in practice matches, though, and manage scores in the 560s with them.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

I went with Pyramyd Air, buy 3 get the 4th for free, buy enough and get free ship, did some R10 and HN Sport.