Air Rifle Tuner

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

moonlightrun

Air Rifle Tuner

Post by moonlightrun »

Anyone ever put a tuner on an air rifle?
How did it turn out?
Any reason not to try a tuner on an air rifle?
Do you think it would make a difference on a 10m rifle?
Thanks, Bob
1845greyhounds

Re: Air Rifle Tuner

Post by 1845greyhounds »

This one might be more about balance...
https://www.centra-visier.de/en/product ... s/tube-v0/

Guy Starik is involved with an air rifle tuner with Tec Hro.
https://tec-hro.de/schiesssport/en/reco ... uning.html
moonlightrun

Post by moonlightrun »

Thanks 1845gh for the interesting websites. I studied them both. I'm wondering if the first one is maybe moving the front sight back and forth as a tuning technique? The second sight was .22 rim fire so I'm not sure.

I would bet someone has figured out how to tune air rifles. Teach us please!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

.22 shooter here, so I have to ask are tuners needed on 10M air rifles? While there is disagreement on how .22 tuners work, everyone seems to accept tuners are there due to velocity variation both within a batch of ammo, and between batches. 10M air rifles don't suffer in this way; the propulsion is internal, and regulated for consistency. What's the tuner actually going to tune?
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

Moonlight - the Tec Hro unit IS an air rifle tuner (not rimfire)

Tuners adjust the barrel harmonics. So while an air rifle has much less/lower excitation force(s) than a 22 rimfire, there are some. Is an air rifle tuner worth it? Maybe, maybe not.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

1845greyhounds wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm Tuners adjust the barrel harmonics. So while an air rifle has much less/lower excitation force(s) than a 22 rimfire, there are some. Is an air rifle tuner worth it? Maybe, maybe not.
But if manipulating barrel harmonics is about minimising the effect of velocity variation, why tune when velocity isn't a variable?
moonlightrun

Post by moonlightrun »

Just trying to imagine every shot my rifle is capable of being just a hair better at even 10m. Maybe it isn't possible, but maybe it is. I just wonder has anyone accomplished it?
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Both of those air rifle "tuners" appear just to be weights that attach to the barrel shroud, not actually the barrel. As such, they would not do anything to barrel harmonics -- i.e. not function like a typical rimfire tuner. They seem to be calling them "tuners" just from the standpoint of being able to tune the weight distribution of the rifle.

I'm sure there's some possibility that a tuner would do something on an air rifle, but considering it seems like most high end rifles can already put X number of shots through the same hole from a rest, I'm not sure how much there is to gain.

marky-d
moonlightrun

Post by moonlightrun »

Good point marky-d
spektr

Post by spektr »

One should look at the Starik tube for what it is, a sight extension. As such, it will score better IF you are capable of aiming the more sensitive sight package. As far as a harmonics tuner, my FWB 800X doesn't need one, Watch the video, the test target shooting is amazing and you see how one is put together..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj8hCcrAwk4