AP20 pro vs. LP500

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lothar

AP20 pro vs. LP500

Post by Lothar »

Hey all - curious if the extra $400-$500 of the LP500 is a big enough upgrade in performance or features to justify the additional cost over the AP20 Pro.

Anyone ever used both?
McMadCow

Re: AP20 pro vs. LP500

Post by McMadCow »

I haven't used an AP20 but I've had the LP500 Expert Electronic for the last two years. It's an excellent gun, and you can see it more and more in the international matches. My thought on the 10M guns is that they're all so expensive- even the starter ones- that you might as well just get the top models. It's not like an AP20 is 'cheap'. You get a lot more gun for comparatively not a lot more money.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A common type of question on here, along with questions about, "Which super-whizbang-gizmo will bring me Olympic glory."

Sorry, Chief, it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Once you have the grip and trigger set up, I'm afraid you won't find much difference in performance among quality guns.

But, go ahead and buy the best one, so we don't have to listen to your whiny excuses.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:11 am A common type of question on here, along with questions about, "Which super-whizbang-gizmo will bring me Olympic glory."

Once you have the grip and trigger set up, I'm afraid you won't find much difference in performance among quality guns.

But, go ahead and buy the best one, so we don't have to listen to your whiny excuses.
Isn't the 'best one' determined after a careful (and protracted) inventory of farkles?
Rover

Post by Rover »

William, I'll leave the answer to that question to Clarence Perkins, "Farkle-Meister Extraordinaire."

But, "best one" I was referring to, is the most expensive.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Lothar wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:56 pm Hey all - curious if the extra $400-$500 of the LP500 is a big enough upgrade in performance or features to justify the additional cost over the AP20 Pro.

Anyone ever used both?
Buy what you like and can afford. Then enjoy.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
NukeMMC

Post by NukeMMC »

IIRC, Damir Mikec shoots a Walther LP400 VERY successfully
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Rover wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:11 am A common type of question on here, along with questions about, "Which super-whizbang-gizmo will bring me Olympic glory."

I’m more concerned about the features. How important are things like weights, dry fire, etc. The AP20 pro doesn’t have the option to dry fire or add weight.

eta - if anyone has one of those whiz bangs that’ll get me to the Olympics let me know.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I don't know where you are getting your information. The AP20 Pro is just an AP20 with a nicer grip and a cylinder with a built in gauge. The AP20 can be dry fired, so the Pro should be able to as well. There are weights available that can be clamped to the barrel:

https://www.shootingequipment.de/en/Wea ... -AP20.html
william

Post by william »

"eta - if anyone has one of those whiz bangs that’ll get me to the Olympics let me know."
The only whiz bang you need to get you to the Olympics is an airplane ticket and hotel reservation. You can buy a ticket to sit in the venue and watch.

If you want to actually compete....
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:08 pm I don't know where you are getting your information. The AP20 Pro is just an AP20 with a nicer grip and a cylinder with a built in gauge. The AP20 can be dry fired, so the Pro should be able to as well. There are weights available that can be clamped to the barrel:

https://www.shootingequipment.de/en/Wea ... -AP20.html
All true. I bought the AP-20 with the ambidextrous grip and have the original cylinder mounted horizontally. I bought a Walther slimline air cylinder which I now use for most shooting. The ambi grip can easily be replaced with a Walther or Rink grip or one from any other provider such as Andrew Berryhill. I've had my AP-20 going on two years with no problems whatsoever. I wish I could say the same for my aging body...
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

I'm not overly keen on having the cocking lever sticking up in the air in dry fire mode, but I'm guessing that's the case with the Walthers too?
As mentioned, there's little to no difference in terms of capability as it's all down to the shooter with equipment at this level
Sc0-

Post by Sc0- »

Not sure as to which model lp500 your referring to, but mine has a horizontal sliding button above the trigger for dry firing. Cocking level is open and closed, nothing sticking up.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Sc0- wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:23 pm Not sure as to which model lp500 your referring to, but mine has a horizontal sliding button above the trigger for dry firing. Cocking level is open and closed, nothing sticking up.
Sorry, I was referring to the AP20
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Ade C wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:49 pm I'm not overly keen on having the cocking lever sticking up in the air in dry fire mode, but I'm guessing that's the case with the Walthers too?
As mentioned, there's little to no difference in terms of capability as it's all down to the shooter with equipment at this level
Its design doesn't interfere at all with the sight line.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

A bunch of good helpful information. Thanks to everyone for weighing in, I was unaware of the weight and not seeing a practice or dry fire mode I was unaware of dry fire ability.

Thanks again all!
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

B Lafferty wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:03 pm
Ade C wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:49 pm I'm not overly keen on having the cocking lever sticking up in the air in dry fire mode, but I'm guessing that's the case with the Walthers too?
I find it somewhat distracting
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Ade C wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:43 am
B Lafferty wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:03 pm
I find it somewhat distracting
Fair enough. To each their own. I can't stand the shape of the Morini trigger guard. If one was gifted to me, I'd sell it as new on Ebay. :-)
Skellocks

Post by Skellocks »

Lothar wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:56 pm Hey all - curious if the extra $400-$500 of the LP500 is a big enough upgrade in performance or features to justify the additional cost over the AP20 Pro.

Anyone ever used both?
We had this same question. Thank you for the help!
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Skellocks wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:33 pm

Anyone ever used both?
We had this same question. Thank you for the help!
Curious what you’re deciding to do. Have you made a choice? I’m still torn.