Aging and Score Decline

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Re: Aging and Score Decline

Post by Rover »

What with being even older than William, I have done some research on the subject. I talked to five times Nat'l Champ Steve Reiter and Nat'l Record holder Renald Schilke at Phoenix R&G, both who could be safely classified as "ancient."

Both claimed to be victims of "The Yipes". The Yipes are uncoordinated spasmodic shot releases. I have noticed them occurring in my own shooting, especially when hit with cataracts. Obviously, the only way around "The Yipes" is pathetic whining. You will become more skillful at this as you age.

I would heed Renald's advice: "Gettin' old ain't for sissies!" I think he sells the T-shirt because he gave me one. My Pal!
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

sal6781 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:56 am A bullseye for me is hitting the black.
Absolutely.
I will be 78 in August.
We shoot informal 10m indoor matches here in the SF Bay Area, twice a month during late winter and early spring.
At my age I have nothing to prove to anyone.
We ALL know, the generations behind us will not be allowed to live this long.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Rover wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:38 pm The Yipes are uncoordinated spasmodic shot releases. I have noticed them occurring . . .
"The Yipes also occurs during some of Rover's posts . . . .
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

PeeWeeDaddy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:02 pm
Absolutely.
I will be 78 in August.
We shoot informal 10m indoor matches here in the SF Bay Area, twice a month during late winter and early spring.
At my age I have nothing to prove to anyone.
We ALL know, the generations behind us will not be allowed to live this long.
Sadly, I fear that this is true regarding the generations behind us and future generations. As an attorney, educator and parent for the better part of my adult life, my heart aches for what my daughter and subsequent generations will likely not see or experience.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
william

Post by william »

"We ALL know, the generations behind us will not be allowed to live this long."

I don't know any such thing. And if the rest of the statement is true, who will not allow it?
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

The Chinese, with the assistance of the USA Federal government, developed COVID to get rid of the one million + Chinese over 100 years of age.
The New York government used the same technique to rid their state of thousands of seniors, buried in unmarked graves on an island in the Hudson River.
Social Security age requirements will soon be raised to 70+, too.
The handwriting is on the wall.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

US life expectancy is getting lower.

Average American male is less than 75, which is one year less than Mexican male, and four years less than British.
william

Post by william »

Which "average American male"? The ones living in red states, or the ones living in blue states?
life-expect.png
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm gettin' up there, so I've decided that I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and crying like the passengers in his car.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

Rover wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:14 pm I'm gettin' up there, so I've decided that I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and crying like the passengers in his car.
😂
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:14 pm I'm gettin' up there, so I've decided that I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and crying like the passengers in his car.
My grandfather on my father's side passed away peacefully in his sleep at the age of 90. I'll take that, especially if my mind is intact at that age as his was.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
wabbitswayer

Post by wabbitswayer »

Well the Germans have an over 50 supported option, so on average I would say yes age affects score.

https://www.formgriffe.de/en/Standard-g ... d-shooting

Personally I've found that my hold doesn't last as long, and that 50 seconds per shot is too short to fully recover during a 60 shot match, and that day to day steadiness varies more. I shot a 50.3 on my first card yesterday, so still having fun, even if I can't put 12 of those together in a row.
1066les

Post by 1066les »

Yes, me too! 😂
kevinjab

Post by kevinjab »

Soy de Argentina, tiro pistola neumática, tengo 63 años, me importa divertirme tirando, llendo al club, relacionandome con otros tiradores, aportando mis experiencias, soy conciente que he disminuido mi capacidad con los años, aparte soy tirador de tiro con arco, lo que me importa es seguir con las actividades que me gustan y me hicieron feliz en mi juventud y continúan haciendome feliz actualmente, los más jovenes me ganan, no me importa, soy feliz tirando con arco y con pistola, eso es lo má importante
Speak when what you have to say is more important than silence.-
Live today as if you were going to die tomorrow, learn today as if you were going to live forever.-
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

william wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:27 pm Which "average American male"? The ones living in red states, or the ones living in blue states?
life-expect.png
Be careful when painting with broad brushes - there is another demographic at work in this map.

As to age, you will never be younger than you are today so try to make the best of it. I don't compete yet but train BE precision pistol at my local range (22/45). I can't shoot like you guys but none of the young guys there group like I do, and many come to me (?) for advice (dry fire!).

I turn 80-11 this month.

Don't forget the loss of our good old days happens to every generation, and the things we lament today will be the good old days for those young now. My folks grew up in the depression and were appalled by protests, long hair, torn jeans, and burned bras of my youth.

One of the unexpected benefits is more attention from young cuties at the gym and elsewhere. They must think old guys are harmless or wealthy (preferably both). I'm already "taken" (well taken), but such attention is duly welcome in the late chapters.

Carpe Diem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQrapQ4d0Y