New Xmas Toy, Walther GSP500

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David M

New Xmas Toy, Walther GSP500

Post by David M »

What do you get when you put a Hammerli 280/SP20 with Walther GSP, Pardini SP and Tesro.22 in a blender and mix them all together...
You get the new Walther GSP500
shoot.jpg
Hummm............First time at the range, it appears to shoot (594 even with a 8..getting tired).
GSP500.jpg
Last edited by David M on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robjob

Re: New Xmas Toy

Post by robjob »

What country are you in?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Now, that's new gun syndrome if ever I saw it…

Bob
David M

Post by David M »

I am in Sydney, Australia and this was shot on the Sydney Olympic Range early December.
The pistol now has had about 600 rounds, no problems and nice to shoot.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I haven't followed Walther much. I seem to recall that one of their recent designs required a special tool to take it apart, which I'm not wild about. Does this retain the easy disassembly of the classic GSPs?
David M

Post by David M »

Pistol comes apart similar to a Pardini or Hammerli SP20, four screws in the front.
Then the shroud,barrel,slide and rebound spring comes out as a complete assembly.
This allows a very easy change from .22 to .32 with just the barrel screws.
The tool is to dis-assemble the slide/rebound assy.
tool.jpg
tool.jpg (40.16 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Used to compress the spring to remove.
dino911

Post by dino911 »

Hi David,
congrats on your purchase! that was on a RFP/duelling target ? timed or slow fire ?
does Walther have plans for a 5 shot practice trigger like the old OSP pistols ?
David M

Post by David M »

It is a mix of slow and timed fire on a duelling target, handheld and using 6 different ammo's to test the pistol function
with different brands.
Ammo used were
1/ Geco Semi Auto av. 293 m/s
2/ CCI Std Vel av. 284 m/s
3/ RWS Target av. 269 m/s
4/ SK Std Plus av. 257 m/s
5/ Eley Std av. 256 m/s
6/ SK Pistol Match av. 251 m/s
All passed the Rapidfire 250 m/s, however the last two did need extra shot's to pass so are marginal at best.
The slightly longer barrel than the Pardini shows up on the chrono, as ammo that is marginal in the
Pardini (SK STD+) was well in on the Walther.
No word of any practice trigger but I believe Walther are going to release a Rapidfire version.
lwy.todd.lu

Re: New Xmas Toy, Walther GSP500

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

David M wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:32 am What do you get when you put a Hammerli 280/SP20 with Walther GSP, Pardini SP and Tesro.22 in a blender and mix them all together...
You get the new Walther GSP500
shoot.jpg

Hummm............First time at the range, it appears to shoot (594 even with a 8..getting tired).

GSP500.jpg
Look at those hits. Dream I could shoot that well one day.
Did you come up to Brisbane for the State Champs last week?
David M

Post by David M »

No, last weekend was the Haywood Open at Cessnock. U/R Service, 25 B/P, C/Fire and Air.
Next comp is Newcastle then Dubbo.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Cool. I’m on the Gold Coast. Hope we’ll meet one day somewhere, of course I need to get myself onto a okay level first. Lol

Is GSP500 well balanced? Not nose heavy?
And the recoil not kick up? Remember someone said it behaves a wee bit kicking up.
I’m thinking of buying my second pistol. My MG2 EVO has been giving me troubles.
David M

Post by David M »

GSP500 is well behaved. With no barrel weights it is nose light but can be weighted with 4 weights and springs to taste.
Muzzle rise is variable depending on number of weights but similar to a Pardini Sport.
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

I dont like the look of it but it seems like a great mechanical design and well put together. If I were shopping for a new pistol it would probably be at the top of the list.
Id probably come to terms with the look soon enough if my target look like yours 😁
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

David M wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:55 pm GSP500 is well behaved. With no barrel weights it is nose light but can be weighted with 4 weights and springs to taste.
Muzzle rise is variable depending on number of weights but similar to a Pardini Sport.
Thanks David.
If the muzzle rise is similar to a Pardini, I’ll try some Pardini and get the feeling of it. Honestly, I haven’t got a chance to shoot a Pardini.
Did you get your GSP500 from Frontier or RPG? Or somewhere else?
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

… and I think you can get the same score no matter what gun you use lol. It’s not the gun, it’s the person behind the gun.