Do We Need Separate Men's and Women's Events

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sa-tevo

Re: Do We Need Separate Men's and Women's Events

Post by Sa-tevo »

In Georgia USA competitions we let everyone compete in the 50 meter pistol competitions. (AKA Free Pistol)

Too bad ISSF didn't do the same.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Sa-tevo wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 am In Georgia USA competitions we let everyone compete in the 50 meter pistol competitions. (AKA Free Pistol)

Too bad ISSF didn't do the same.
+1

Bob
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My wife used to shoot summer free pistol matches with me in Massachusetts. They were frequently on hot humid days, and she decided she wasn't wild enough about free pistol to deal with melting. I can't say I blame her, but I really love free pistol and continued shooting it.

Free pistol used to be part of the NRA collegiate competition program, and women were always welcome to compete. The team I help coach typically had several women who shot it. Free pistol got dropped when collegiate shooting switched to being sponsored by SASP several years ago. We still shoot air, Sport and Standard pistol, and having a fourth event did make matches a very lengthy affair. Several coaches lobbied against it on the excuse that it was no longer an Olympic event. We still shoot Standard Pistol, so that always struck me as a bit bogus. Over the last 6 or 8 years, men started competing in Sport pistol, and now all of the International collegiate events are fully gender agnostic.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Sounds like someone snoozed through high school biology class. Men and women have different bodies, in several differing ways including some neurological function. Likely different too in ways not know to science just yet. That's why it is completely foolish and nonsensical for a "woman" trapped in a male body she was born in, to compete against women born into women's bodies.
hohungyi

Post by hohungyi »

toddinjax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 pm Sounds like someone snoozed through high school biology class. Men and women have different bodies, in several differing ways including some neurological function. Likely different too in ways not know to science just yet. That's why it is completely foolish and nonsensical for a "woman" trapped in a male body she was born in, to compete against women born into women's bodies.
It’s been well known for awhile that sex is on a spectrum instead of being a binary.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sa ... spectrum/#
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

toddinjax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 pm Sounds like someone snoozed through high school biology class. Men and women have different bodies, in several differing ways including some neurological function. Likely different too in ways not know to science just yet. That's why it is completely foolish and nonsensical for a "woman" trapped in a male body she was born in, to compete against women born into women's bodies.
Nothing to do with the topic being discussed.
spektr

Post by spektr »

No, let everybody shoot heads up. Women have a structural advantage shooting offhand
due to their hip width and men may have an advantage in strength, so let them line up
and shoot together. OBTW, in Rifle, The Visconti Girls kick my ass, and there aren't nicer assassins
walking around.......
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

PirateJohn wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:38 am
I respectfully argue that you are quite wrong. I wasn't trying to steer the conversation into "trans issues" so obviously I should not have brought it into the thread, my apologies. But I stand by my point that the "machine" that females shoot with varies in more ways than is common knowledge and thinking than the male shooting " machine.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

toddinjax wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:49 pm
PirateJohn wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:38 am
I respectfully argue that you are quite wrong. I wasn't trying to steer the conversation into "trans issues" so obviously I should not have brought it into the thread, my apologies. But I stand by my point that the "machine" that females shoot with varies in more ways than is common knowledge and thinking than the male shooting " machine.
It's a bit more complex than that, particularly when one factors in when (pre or post-puberty, with or without puberty blockers) transition with HRT commences. A thorny issue at best which need not be dealt with if all competitors are permitted to compete together in one group.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh