Need 54.30 barrel tenon dimensions or replacement barrel suggestion?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

1845greyhounds

Need 54.30 barrel tenon dimensions or replacement barrel suggestion?

Post by 1845greyhounds »

Will anyone share the barrel tenon dimensions (preferably via a drawing) for the Anschutz 54.30?

Alternatively, does anyone know where to get a drop-in replacement barrel? Nordic Marksman (Nova Scotia) offers OEM replacements but won't import barrels into the US. I contacted a US Anschutz distributor (Champion's Choice) and they are looking into it. Hopefully they come through, though this (request) was a first for them and this item isn't on their dealer list.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20221201_190525_Chrome.jpg
rbs

Re: Need 54.30 barrel tenon dimensions or replacement barrel suggestion?

Post by rbs »

sent you a PM
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

Nobody will make a drop in for a threaded barrel on a custom
Action. You will need to find a gunsmith if you want to replace the barrel. Plenty great smiths in the US to choose from. Mark Penrod, Howard Pitts are two well respected smallbore smiths I have used.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

So I've learned more since originally posting. Semi-prefit barrels are available from Anschutz, but they do need to be headspaced. I'm not clear how the headspacing occurs, maybe with spacers.

If you are in the US, Anschutz North America (GSI Inc in Trussville, Alabama) has replacement 54.30 barrels in both blue ($395 USD) and stainless steel ($475 USD). They will install and test fire the barrel for $75 USD. Sounds like a good deal!

To be sure, Howard Pitts and Mark Penrod are great gunsmiths. I have 2 rifles that Howard rebarreled and they hammer. The Penrod smithed rifles I've seen, shoot very well. I conversed with Howard and he indicated that a Benchmark barrel is currently 10 months out! I know there are other great barrels available, but they still come with a considerable wait getting into a prefered gunsmith's que.
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

You can buy shilen barrel blanks from Killough Shooting supply, they usually have them in stock. I would not buy a Ahg drop in barrel, their quality is not up there with a real US barrel maker. If going to the trouble of replacing a barrel, putting on another Ahg blank doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Penrod put a shilen on my SB prone gun, good enough to win NRA nationals in ‘22 and a Robert’s team, along with a Pershing team.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

All good points.

PM sent
Ranger Steve

Post by Ranger Steve »

Shilen 4R and a gunsmith who understands rimfire.