Walther GSP Expert

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

TBoneman

Walther GSP Expert

Post by TBoneman »

I purchased my Walther GSP Expert new ten months ago. While tightening the grip on my GSP. the grip broke off the frame which now leaves the pistol un useable with the frame broken at the bottom of the frame where the grip connection piece goes onto the frame in order tho attach the grip. I have called the dealer from whom I purchased the pistol and he put me in shock mode when he told me the frame was $600.00 to replace. I have called the Walther head quarters and they have issued me a FedEx label for me to ship the pistol back to them. They will get back to me within five to seven business days. I am now waiting to hear back from them.
My question to anyone who may know, has this situation happened to anyone else you may know.
Thanks in advance,
TBoneman
NukeMMC

Re: Walther GSP Expert

Post by NukeMMC »

Take it as a lesson learned. I've broken screws/bolts, stripped heads (like the Torx heads on my Pardini front plate over the weights) and stripped holes from overtightening. I've learned to tighten screws and bolts in my firearms to where they just get tension then use my Borka torque tools to apply correct torque. The M5 grip screw on my GSP Expert gets 50 in-lbs. If I don't have the torque tool, I only tighten using the SHORT leg of an Allen wrench as the handle.
TBoneman

Post by TBoneman »

Thanks NukeMMC,
I definitely need a torque tool as I seem to over tighten everything that needs tightening. I hope Walther is going to replace the frame without charging me for it. That would make for a great Christmas present.
NukeMMC

Post by NukeMMC »

I'm sorry, but I am disappointed in this. This just stinks of the lack of self-accountability and integrity that runs rampant in this nation today.
If there was a genuine manufacturing flaw, I could understand the stance, but you even admit to overtorquing.
Who do you think Walther will end up having pay for this if not you? You are essentially telling all of us that you hope we pay for your mistake.

Think about it for a minute.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

NukeMMC wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:21 am .
Last edited by atomicgale on Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TBoneman

Post by TBoneman »

I am sorry, but I am disappointed in your reply. It is possible that the frame was manufactured with a defect. I assumed that my tightening the grip caused it to break. That makes me accountable for the mishap. Also, you are judging me without knowing who I am and that in itself is a problem. What ever Walther decides has nothing to do with you or anyone else.
When I signed up to TargetTalk I was looking for information concerning my GSP. I did not know that there would be a personal critic on board. I am 80 years old, a four year navy veteran and and retired from teaching in 2004 after 35 years.
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

The GSP has the bottom-mounting design which is interesting regarding the way the grip is mounted. It is not a solid wrap-around mount. That may lend itself to the possibility of breaking unlike other guns. For those who have owned a GSP produced after the late 70's one know what I mean.

How often does it happen?

Often, the GSP grip itself will fail instead, particularly the laminated blue/beige grip.

I don't recall seeing or hearing much, if anything, about using a torque wrench. Do many people use one to mount a grip or stock?

Maybe the best advice is to use some type of tool, torque or otherwise, but not a "T-handle" type tool. The T-handle type allows much greater torque.

T-handle wrenches were included with my GSP Experts as well as a Perazzi. I have read that they are the reason for broken grips/stocks if over-tightened.

I also don't recall any documentation with the guns that include a T-handle tool recommending a torque wrench with how many "whatevers" dialed in or applied to mount the grip or stock.

I too was Navy - career as initially enlisted (HM3, USN/USMC), then GI Bill, then commissioned. Go Navy! Semper Fi!
brassmaster

Post by brassmaster »

I have a similar issue with my Walther GSP Expert. A serious crack has occurred at the bottom of the grip frame and now the grip cannot be fully tightened, so the "frame" moves inside the grip. A friend that I shoot with, recently bought a GSP Expert and has developed a relationship with the "local" Walther distributor/dealer and he discussed my problem with him. The distributor/dealer told my friend: "obviously, your friend over-tightened the grip screw and that caused the frame to crack/break." My friend's reply to that statement was, a few months ago when I bought my new GSP Expert from you, I called and asked you what is the torque setting for the grip screw? Your response was, "you can't over tighten the grip screw, the frame is made from the finest German metal!" Now you tell me, my friend over tightened the grip screw which caused the frame to crack? The distributor/dealer said a fix would be to buy a new frame at $600. That's 1/3 of the cost of the pistol which I bought new from Champion's Choice last year!!!! So, I see from your post that in November you sent your GSP Expert to Walther at Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Have you received any feedback from them? I'm just sick about this because I love the pistol, it's a shooter. The .22 barrel will print 1-1/2"--10 shot groups at 50 yards off sandbags and the .32 barrel with Lapua factory ammunition will hold the X & 10 ring at 50 yards with 10 shots also sandbag rest. Results could possibly be better in a Ransom Rest. As you may have guessed, I'm a competitive Precision Pistol (Bullseye) shooter. I would appreciate knowing what you have learned from Walther. Regards-Jim, AKA, Brassmaster.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

IMHO, the frame was probably cracked prior to the grip cracking. I think it would take an amazing amount of torque to break the grip and the frame , so maybe the frame was giving way then the grip cracked.
brassmaster

Post by brassmaster »

Ttgoods, thanks for the insight & you may be correct--appreciated. I'm anxious to learn what response, if any, TBoneman received from Walther's headquarters/customer service.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Personally, I own a Pardini and I went through the manual and I did not see a torque specification for the grip screw or any other screw on the pistol. If there is a published torque specification in the Walther Manuel or on their website then Walther might have a argument that the grip screw was overtightened.

I also went to two Walther Websites for the USA. Neither one has even a picture of the GSP Expert to show that these pistols are available in the USA.

From reading this thread it appears that Walther is aware of problems resulting in a cracked frame from attaching the grip to the frame, and as such, should have published a torque specification for their grip screw on the website.

If Walther claims that TBoneman overtightened the grip screw, first question should be well how tight should it be in the first place?

TBoneman: Hope you get a new frame in this situation. My view is that Walther should stand behind their product and would be disappointed if they passed the cost of this repair onto the consumer.

Regards,
Crankster
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

The manual(s) is here: https://carl-walther.com/download-area?q=gsp+&lang=en

Reading through the English section I didn't see any torque settings
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

FYI It took me a long time to find it but this is a good source for torques for small screws
https://www.tohnichi.com/torque-technical-data.htm

P39 - Use 0.5T settings and you can't go too far wrong.
https://www.tohnichi.com/pdf/02-bolt-tightening.pdf
brassmaster

Post by brassmaster »

Update on my Walther GSP Expert cracked frame:
I decided to put Walther's "Legendary Lifetime Warranty," to the test. I stripped the GSP down to just the receiver, securely packed it, included a letter explaining my issue and my expectation that a frame replacement is warranted and should be covered under their warranty. To my surprise and amazement, I was forced to ship it overnight air via UPS because it had a serialized receiver, at a cost of $94.50 for a package weighing 15ozs.
It arrived at Walther the next morning after shipping and within hours I received an email advising me that turnaround time for repair or replacement after inspection by their gunsmith(s) is now 5-7 business days. So, I wait with bated breath to learn of the disposition of my issue and subsequent warranty claim, Stay tuned Walther GSP Expert owners'.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

You need to make friends with an FFL holder.

You could have shipped the frame in a USPS Small Flat Rate Box for under $20.00, insured.

Yes, you can mail the frame FFL to FFL.

Cheers,

Dave
brassmaster

Post by brassmaster »

Dave, you have always provided sage advice when I contacted you with some tough questions and I appreciated it. Your advice about shipping was as usual accurate, but I already knew about FFLs ability to ship handguns & serialized parts USPS. The hitch was it's an 1-1/2-hour RT to my FFL buddy's and a UPS Drop Box is 5 minutes from my front door. and I wanted to get the ball rolling toward getting my GSP Expert fixed because I'm in winter indoor league and the GSP Expert in .22 is worth a bunch more points that all of my other match pistols. So, again Dave thanks for your input--appreciated.
-Brassmaster
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Any feedback from Walther?
brassmaster

Post by brassmaster »

I received a new frame, direct from Walther in Fort Smith, AR, free of any charges. My reliance on Walther products has been restored.
brassmaster

Post by brassmaster »

I received a new frame, direct from Walther in Fort Smith, AR, free of any charges. My reliance on Walther products has been restored.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hi BrassMaster:

I am happy for you. Didja get a chance to ask about recommended torque specs?