Pelican Case Locks

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

kbean

Pelican Case Locks

Post by kbean »

Any recommendations for locks to use on Pelican cases? I got some small master lock pad locks, but they are pretty bulky and I’m worried about them catching on stuff during travel. I saw some cable locks on Amazon that might work?
I think I prefer non tsa, because I saw that tsa is able to open these.
Thanks!
scm

Re: Pelican Case Locks

Post by scm »

I just got the Amazon cable locks and use them on an Eylar case (very similar to Pelican), they work great. Yes the TSA can open them, but the other option is the TSA will cut a non TSA lock or make you buy TSA locks at the airport.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Padlocks often get ripped off Pelican cases, the plastic just gives way and the metal 'reinforcement' does little.

Padlocks just stick out too far and get caught on things, or are easily crowbarred off.

They're pretty useless really

It helps to tape them down, tape wrapped all the way round the case.

If I ever get round to it I'll make a bolt to go through the case with a hole the padlock can go through to reduce the profile.
Or better a lockable metal strap to go round the whole case.
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

scm wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:37 pm I just got the Amazon cable locks and use them on an Eylar case (very similar to Pelican), they work great. Yes the TSA can open them, but the other option is the TSA will cut a non TSA lock or make you buy TSA locks at the airport.
Never use TSA locks on gun cases. If TSA wants to open the case you are allowed to witness them opening the case. I also recommend combination locks not keyed locks as it is too easy to lose the key
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

For what it is worth, these fit the Pelican 1750, Storm IM3300, and Pelican Vault.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1
kbean

Post by kbean »

Thanks for all the input!

Any cable combo, non-tsa locks that someone recommends?

Not ruling anything else out, just wanting to see what others have had success with.

Thanks!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

A suggestion: Use whatever padlock(s) you have but run some duct tape over each one, from the top of the case to the underside, to hold them close to the case to prevent them catching on anything. Easy to install and remove and only needed when you hand them over to the airline staff.

Bob