Firearm theft insurance?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Shooterer

Firearm theft insurance?

Post by Shooterer »

Who do you guys use? American Family told me I only have $5K of theft insurance on those items and to provide replacement value for the collection it would be and additional $600 per year.

I am one of those that believes any kind of insurance (car, home) is a good investment and I have high limits on my stuff, so the low coverage surprised me.

Also, if I would schedule the items (rider) they would require a list of the guns with serial numbers and replacement value of each. I would also probably have to update the list and value every 6 months to keep current and pay additional for the higher values. I forgot to ask how it works with a fire or tornado damage.

I am going to look into what the NRA offers this weekend. Any others I should look into?
sparky

Re: Firearm theft insurance?

Post by sparky »

I have Gun and Trophy (https://www.gunandtrophy.com/). Fortunately, I haven't had to use it, but many folks on trapshooting and shotgun shooting forums with high dollar shotguns have had to make claims and have reported excellent results.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I have been using Lockton Affinity for 8 years now. For any firearm valued at more than $2,500 a description is required but a serial number is not. I’m paying about $300 a year. I also use them for Instructor insurance. Fortunately I have not had to make any claims so I can’t speak to that.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

USAA is about 1% of insured value.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

aalbert, what is maximum amount USAA will pay on firearms? My home and auto carrier only pays up to $2,000 IIRC on any and all firearm(s) loss. Had to go into the weeds to figure it out. Jewelry and cash are much less. I heard a lot of sad tales from burglary victims who didn’t know there were restrictions on how much insurance companies paid on stolen firearms, jewelry, and cash. Gotta read the fine print. That’s when I ended up going to a specialized carrier
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

I have no firearm insurance except for that provided by the National Rifle Association.
Anyone can have it all: Guns, computers, tv’s, etc as long as I am not home.
If I am home, they are dead.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

rgibson wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:35 am aalbert, what is maximum amount USAA will pay on firearms? My home and auto carrier only pays up to $2,000 IIRC on any and all firearm(s) loss. Had to go into the weeds to figure it out. Jewelry and cash are much less. I heard a lot of sad tales from burglary victims who didn’t know there were restrictions on how much insurance companies paid on stolen firearms, jewelry, and cash. Gotta read the fine print. That’s when I ended up going to a specialized carrier
I haven't run into any limit when listing individually.. If you tell them a KK500 i worth $15k, I don't think they will honor that, but they will go for retail/current value... I have never made a firearm claim, but for photographic equipment under the same policy, they did replacement retail on a camera/lens combo worth $4k.
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

I think USAA has a limit of $10,000