Shoulder popping? Tension?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tedmosby7

Shoulder popping? Tension?

Post by tedmosby7 »

I must be putting some kind of tension on my right shoulder (RH shooter) when I am shooting air pistol, because when I move my shoulder when resting between shots my shoulder pops after a few shots. I assume this isn't normal? Does anyone else have this issue?
Gwhite

Re: Shoulder popping? Tension?

Post by Gwhite »

People assume all sorts of weird postures when shooting, including doing very unnatural things with their shoulders. There is no need to shoot an air pistol with anything but a relatively normal stance, with the shoulders level, and over the hips (which are over the feet, i.e. no twisting). I have two students who have developed a habit of assuming a twisted stance, and then cocking their head over to the right to line up their eyes & sights. We are working on sorting that out... It looks uncomfortable even in the short run, and I can't imagine their necks feel great after a full 60 shot match.
tedmosby7

Post by tedmosby7 »

Thanks, I am definitely in the group who does weird stuff with their shoulders. I think I have worked out all of the body twisting so that's a start.

You mentioned having the shoulders over the hips. I have noticed a number of high-level shooters that have a slight to dramatic lean back (away from Target) similar to rifle. I have a slight lean. Is there a rule of thumb to get that balanced out right and the center of gravity in the right area?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The leaning back counter balances the weight of the pistol, but a lot of people carry it to extremes. We had one student last year who twisted her body a lot and then leaned way back. She graduated before we could straighten her up... It's often the result of inadequate arm strength. People lift as high as they think they can, and then get the pistol the rest of the way up by leaning back...

You can do it a bit in air pistol, but if you shoot anything with recoil, it doesn't work so well. The general recommendation is to lean FORWARD slightly, so the weight is slightly more on your front foot.

The best starting point is to relax, and lift your arm (not your shoulder) up without a pistol. Find your natural point of aim by moving your feet ONLY. Your body should still be relaxed, with no twist, and nothing out of the ordinary in terms of the width of your feet, THEN put the pistol in your hand, and keep the same stance. Lift the pistol with your shoulders still level & relaxed. Make adjustments to the pistol's position by raising or lowering your arm, and adjusting your wrist. Keep you head erect and shoulder level. That should get you into a stable, comfortable position that won't cause muscle strain over a long match.