New guy needs advice-PCP rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NatGlick

New guy needs advice-PCP rifle

Post by NatGlick »

Hi all,
So as part of my compensation package at work, a small contribution goes monthly into a bank account for my “vacation” fund. I like to use these funds for something enjoyable, and lately I have been hankering for a PCP air rifle. I am partial to FWB as I was given a Model 65 by my good friend and shooting mentor Uncle Jack. I later acquired a couple 300 springer rifles (one scoped/one with sights) for basement shooting duties. I already have SCUBA tanks (older aluminum 80s) from my younger days, not worth much on the used market as that hobby has switched to high-pressure steel tanks, so no worries there.

I would love to hear your advice, your experiences with various models, good and bad. I will not likely be competing, so bleeding edge tech is unnecessary. I will be shopping the pre-owned market; I can’t justify spending what new air guns go for just for casual use!😬

Thanks in advance.

Nat
alpineboard

Re: New guy needs advice-PCP rifle

Post by alpineboard »

Hi Nat, What are your plans on how you will shoot this PCP? bench, prone, kneeling, standing? Field or 10 bull 10 meter? Leather suit?
I was previously in your position, and shooting FWB 601 and FWB C60 standing 10 bull 10 meter.
After time , thought , research and comparison, I went with a FWB 800x comp. The multiple points of adjustability with the 800 ends up making the arm a very comfortable fit to the body. I cant my rifle so the rotating sight really helped. It seems that the recoil with 800 PCP is less than the C60.
FYI, Your useable air in your scuba tank, to fill your FWB cylinder is above 80 bar to 200 bar. So you need to refill your scuba tank at approx 100 bar, 1500 psi
Richard144

Re: New guy needs advice-PCP rifle

Post by Richard144 »

I am not sure exactly want info you are looking for but--- I had an Anschutz 2002 that was an outstanding rifle that I used for silhouette shooting with a scope. Never used it much with the iron sights. It got 2-300 shots on a fill and I used a hand pump which i still have and use. I currently have an Anschutz 8002 that I got from CMP. I have shot matches with it but mostly just shoot in my basement. Nothing fancy but fine for me. Still hand pump.
This type of rifle is just great for me but a really serious(younger and better) shooter would want something a bit better with more adjustability.
Rick B.