The Process Works

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PirateJohn

The Process Works

Post by PirateJohn »

I try to do about 150-200 blank-wall dry fires a day, but one thing I never liked about dry firing is the fact that the trigger doesn't feel quite the same when the pistol is in dry-fire mode. So today after having done about 35 dry fires, I decided to try something different.

I set up my pellet trap with a target facing backwards and decided to fire 20 pellets at the blank paper, focusing on all the same things that I do when blank-wall dry firing -- good sight alignment, smooth trigger pull without the sights moving, and a good follow-through.

After 20 shots, I took down the target and flipped it over. All 20 of my shots were within the 8 ring. I had no target to aim at, so just focusing on the basic mechanics was all I had, and no target to distract me. I think I'm going to do this drill more often, and really try hard during my practice matches not to let the target distract me.
Attachments
20221010_123042.jpg
toddinjax

Re: The Process Works

Post by toddinjax »

Sounds like a great solution for owners of Izzy 46 pistols that when dry fired have a significantly different feel than releasing a pellet.
150 to 200 per day sounds like an awful lot. I dry fire every day, usually for 5 to 15 minutes with several sessions per day. I don't count but I'd be surprised if I was anywhere near 200. Same technique used by many musicians; rather than repeating the same difficulty over and over long after your mind has escaped the boredom, work on a specific problem for 5 minutes, 15 times through out the day. This has been scientifically proven to have higher success.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I break up my dry-fire sessions into multiple small sessions so I don't get bored. Typically, I'll do about 40-60 in the morning before work (about 15 minutes), another 40-60 at lunch, and one or two sessions of 30-50 after work or during an afternoon break. Then in the evening I can shoot a practice match.

Like you say, I typically have something very specific to work on during these sessions.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

What pistol do you have?
Usually it's just my brain that feels different in dry fire mode.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Pardini K12. I do feel a bit more resistance when I'm expelling air.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Try weighing the trigger both ways. The results might surprise you. There are times when I think my 80 gram trigger isn't cocked, but it is.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Kinda straying a bit far from the point of this post...
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

This is exactly like the first step on the USMC marksmanship train8ng manual. Live .22 cal. fire at a blank target at 25 yards, ten shots. You pass the step only after producing two consecutive 10-round groups of no greater than 5 1/4” diameter. Groups must also be “round”, not strung out / elongated.

I use brown butcher paper to save money. It also helps hide the holes so you can’t see them and try to aim at anything. Forces you to focus on the front sight, sight alignment, and everything that goes into a consistent stance and hold.

Great exercise! Does wonders for me.