Modifying AP grip to be more similar to .22 grip?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Korp

Modifying AP grip to be more similar to .22 grip?

Post by Korp »

Time to start the air pistol season here in Sweden. I bought my Steyr Evo 10e a year ago and kicked off my second season with some practice the other day. I'm again struck by how awkward the grip feels in my hand compared to the Rink grip on my Pardini SP. The Steyr grip is really thick and I'm having trouble finding the right way to hold the gun. If I stand in my regular .22-position the guns sights are off. Should I use different body positions for the different guns or modify the grip on the AP so that it:

A) sits less awkward in my hand and
B) lines up better when aiming?

Do you guys change your body position depending on the gun you use or modify the grip so that the gun lines up better to your body position/angles?

I'm thinking on putting a dremel to the AP grip and chip away at it until the grip isn't as thick and the gun/sights line up in a more natural way for me.

Thanks
Gwhite

Re: Modifying AP grip to be more similar to .22 grip?

Post by Gwhite »

The Steyr air pistols have adjustable grip angles, so that should help. Even within one brand, the exact shape of grips can vary over time.

There's nothing wrong with Dremeling your grip, but GO SLOW. VERY small changes can have a big effect.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

It is a question of wrist angle. You just get used to both. You don't have to change body position.

Body position for me changes when doing rapid fire disciplines with air or fire pistols.
Ramon
Korp

Post by Korp »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:04 am The Steyr air pistols have adjustable grip angles, so that should help. Even within one brand, the exact shape of grips can vary over time.

There's nothing wrong with Dremeling your grip, but GO SLOW. VERY small changes can have a big effect.
Thanks, I remembered the screws on the uh frame(?) after posting and that really helped!

I'm nervous about touching the grip but I really would like to make it narrower. Will go slow
Korp

Post by Korp »

Ramon OP wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:18 pm It is a question of wrist angle. You just get used to both. You don't have to change body position.

Body position for me changes when doing rapid fire disciplines with air or fire pistols.
Yes, well put. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to get used to positioning my wrist differently or if I should adjust the grip to be able to have my wrist at the exact same position regardless of gun used.

I'll make some adjustments to the screws and possibly some light dremeling - as suggested above - before admitting defeat ;)
David M

Post by David M »

Instead of stuffing a factory grip and the .22 Rink feels good, then just get a Rink for the Evo.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I have a Rink grip on my EVO10E and it feels fantastic. Much better than the original factory grip..
Rover

Post by Rover »

What is the cost of a new grip versus a sheet of coarse sandpaper?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

David M wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:50 pm Instead of stuffing a factory grip and the .22 Rink feels good, then just get a Rink for the Evo.
David for the win!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I have bought Rink grips for a number of pistols (Large, 0 angle, fat grip). The fact that they all come from the same manufacturer does not mean they will all feel the same. Grip angles differ. For example, I found the the fat grips worked well for me on a TriAce and IZH-35M but on my FWB P44 AP the grip was still too slim (front to back) so have had to putty it up to get my fingers normal to the alignment. They've all needed some Dremelling too.

Bob