Shooting glasses. Champion / Knobloch / MEC which one is lighter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lwy.todd.lu

Shooting glasses. Champion / Knobloch / MEC which one is lighter

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Hi new shooter Todd here. I’m going to buy a pair of shooting glasses. Looking for some lightweight ones. But there are no detailed information to the weight on these major brands official websites. Thanks in advance for any information and advices.
m1963

Re: Shooting glasses. Champion / Knobloch / MEC which one is lighter

Post by m1963 »

Champion build theirs from titanium. They are probably the lightest, and the most expensive.

Knobloch builds their from steel....less expensive.

No idea about MEC...but they have an ultralight offering.

I really doubt you could tell the weight difference between any of them, once you are wearing them.

Look for used ones on this forum. You will save some money...There was a set for sale, in August. I have no idea if they sold, nor do I know anything about the seller...

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... es#p321777

Best regards,
m1963
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Yeah I saw the ultralight one from MEC. It’s only 13 grams without blinders etc. It’s made of titanium as well. It looks lighter than others.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

For starters need to compare apples for apples - all these brands have different models.

Can speak for Champion frames only since have all their models in stock and:
Super-Olympic frame - 44g
Olympic Champion - 30g
World Champion 1 - 24g

Then there are also headband mounted lens/blinder option from MEC. And there is a cap mounted blinder holder from Champion.

Then again you can also just get your old glasses and get a new shooting prescription lens so do not habe to spend money for specialty shooting frame.

When buying glasses one should be looking at what features you want to have (adjustability) and what accessories you would need to get (filters, iris, centering device, corrective incremental lenses) and whether or not there are any local/regional dealers to be able to get some parts/accessories and not rely solely on importing from Europe (international shipping cost/wait).
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

lwy.todd.lu wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:12 am Hi new shooter Todd here. I’m going to buy a pair of shooting glasses. Looking for some lightweight ones. But there are no detailed information to the weight on these major brands official websites. Thanks in advance for any information and advices.
The first question is: Why?

There are lots of different options. What's best depends on your experience level, vision, age, and what problem you are trying to solve that your current setup doesn't address. Buying fancy expensive glasses is a good way to waste a lot of money if you don't know what you are doing.

I help coach a collegiate pistol team. For new shooters, we start them out with either these:

https://shootingsight.com/?product=safe ... ng-glasses if they wear contacts or naturally have good vision.

If they wear prescription glasses, we fix them up with one of these: https://shootingsight.com/?product=clip-on-flip-lens
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

m1963 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:43 pm Focus on this, not branding-

"I really doubt you could tell the weight difference between any of them, once you are wearing them."

Also, an eye patch can work just as well, for new shooters.

Maybe try something inexpensive to be sure you like competition shooting, first? It is certainly worth exploring, before committing hundreds of dollars.
ive ordered a couple of cheap eye patches for normal glasses. one of my club member gave me one to try, it just worked fine. i used that to blind my dominate eye (left) then the other eye (right) became to dominate eye, which allowed me to shoot with my right hand perfectly.
i think im pretty sure ill pursue this sport~
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Dmaryakh wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:40 pm For starters need to compare apples for apples - all these brands have different models.

Can speak for Champion frames only since have all their models in stock and:
Super-Olympic frame - 44g
Olympic Champion - 30g
World Champion 1 - 24g

Then there are also headband mounted lens/blinder option from MEC. And there is a cap mounted blinder holder from Champion.

Then again you can also just get your old glasses and get a new shooting prescription lens so do not habe to spend money for specialty shooting frame.

When buying glasses one should be looking at what features you want to have (adjustability) and what accessories you would need to get (filters, iris, centering device, corrective incremental lenses) and whether or not there are any local/regional dealers to be able to get some parts/accessories and not rely solely on importing from Europe (international shipping cost/wait).
thanks for the information that's very helpful.

i think adjustability is my first priority, i mean not critical, but would be good if it has more flexibility on adjustment.

i think we have importers for Champion and Knobloch here in Australia. haven't yet found the MEC importer so far. but yeah ill keep in mind the easy access to parts and accessories.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:42 pm
lwy.todd.lu wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:12 am Hi new shooter Todd here. I’m going to buy a pair of shooting glasses. Looking for some lightweight ones. But there are no detailed information to the weight on these major brands official websites. Thanks in advance for any information and advices.
The first question is: Why?

There are lots of different options. What's best depends on your experience level, vision, age, and what problem you are trying to solve that your current setup doesn't address. Buying fancy expensive glasses is a good way to waste a lot of money if you don't know what you are doing.

I help coach a collegiate pistol team. For new shooters, we start them out with either these:

https://shootingsight.com/?product=safe ... ng-glasses if they wear contacts or naturally have good vision.

If they wear prescription glasses, we fix them up with one of these: https://shootingsight.com/?product=clip-on-flip-lens
mainly, i just need a patch for getting my dominate eye blinded to allow the other eye working like dominate eye, im cross eyed dominate.
secondly, it looks so cool~~~ i see a lot of our members wearing those shooting glasses, just very cool~~~ im shallow, sorry~~~ lol
i actually can just put a clip patch on my prescription glasses, which works just fine.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've used a piece of translucent "Scotch" tape for decades. Fold over about 5 mm of one end, and you have a handle to remove it easily. I stick it on a smooth surface on my pistol box when I'm done, and I use the same piece of tape for 6 months or more.
Isi

Post by Isi »

My mec glasses …they weight 27,4 grams…
F9FB6BA5-5971-49DA-8452-470BEC339109.jpeg
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Isi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:30 pm My mec glasses …they weight 27,4 grams…
Thank you Isi.
So this is the standard version right? Not the ultra light version.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm I've used a piece of translucent "Scotch" tape for decades. Fold over about 5 mm of one end, and you have a handle to remove it easily. I stick it on a smooth surface on my pistol box when I'm done, and I use the same piece of tape for 6 months or more.
Yeah I’m using a home made one at the moment as well. But never try Scotch tape. Will get some and give it a try.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Use only a small piece of tape. The rules limit the width of a "blinder" to 30 mm. Your peripheral vision helps with stability, so a small blinder also helps your shooting. In extreme cases covering too much of the vision of your non-shooting eye can induce dizziness, but that usually requires far more than the 30 mm rule allows.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:28 pm Use only a small piece of tape. The rules limit the width of a "blinder" to 30 mm. Your peripheral vision helps with stability, so a small blinder also helps your shooting. In extreme cases covering too much of the vision of your non-shooting eye can induce dizziness, but that usually requires far more than the 30 mm rule allows.
thanks for the tip. yeah i noticed the size of the clip patch that ive ordered. but i did my home made blinder wrong. i cut it too big which covers all my glasses LOL ill try a 30mm tape tomorrow.
Isi

Post by Isi »

lwy.todd.lu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:41 pm
Thank you Isi.
Exactly…standard
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Isi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:16 am
lwy.todd.lu wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:41 pm
Thank you Isi.
Exactly…standard
cool~ thanks again~~~
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

One of the principle benefits of “proper” shooting glasses is that you can adjust the position and angle of the lens so that the plane of it is normal to your line of sight and you look through the optical centre. This gives you the best possible sight picture without extraneous distortion. To ensure correct alignment you will also need to acquire the alignment/centering gismo.
AECC99E0-06FD-4238-A46B-94D7981ADA58.jpeg
AECC99E0-06FD-4238-A46B-94D7981ADA58.jpeg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Also, an iris can help to sharpen up the front (and back) sight but might have the undesired effect of also sharpening up the bullseye leading to distraction of focus. They are available with the black surround, as shown, or with a translucent white surround (which I prefer as I have a translucent white occluder).
E91B2958-80C7-4F5D-9116-A01C39C67494.jpeg
E91B2958-80C7-4F5D-9116-A01C39C67494.jpeg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
I use an iris to ensure my head is in the same position for each shot.

At my Club, we try to get new shooters to have an eye check at an optometrist to determine their dominant eye and the strength of that eye before they come to start training. We then suggest they buy a pair of cheap over-the-counter reading glasses with a strength 1.0 diopter greater than their distance vision strength (if they have to wear distance glasses). We stress as strongly as we can that having the front sight in sharp focus is paramount for successful shooting. If they decide to stick with the sport then they can start thinking about proper shooting glasses, Knobloch, etc.

Bob
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

BobGee wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:35 pm One of the principle benefits of “proper” shooting glasses is that you can adjust the position and angle of the lens so that the plane of it is normal to your line of sight and you look through the optical centre. This gives you the best possible sight picture without extraneous distortion. To ensure correct alignment you will also need to acquire the alignment/centering gismo.

AECC99E0-06FD-4238-A46B-94D7981ADA58.jpeg

Also, an iris can help to sharpen up the front (and back) sight but might have the undesired effect of also sharpening up the bullseye leading to distraction of focus. They are available with the black surround, as shown, or with a translucent white surround (which I prefer as I have a translucent white occluder).

E91B2958-80C7-4F5D-9116-A01C39C67494.jpeg

I use an iris to ensure my head is in the same position for each shot.

At my Club, we try to get new shooters to have an eye check at an optometrist to determine their dominant eye and the strength of that eye before they come to start training. We then suggest they buy a pair of cheap over-the-counter reading glasses with a strength 1.0 diopter greater than their distance vision strength (if they have to wear distance glasses). We stress as strongly as we can that having the front sight in sharp focus is paramount for successful shooting. If they decide to stick with the sport then they can start thinking about proper shooting glasses, Knobloch, etc.

Bob
Thank you Bob. Thanks for all these detailed explanations. Learnt a lot from it. I’ll try some entry level patches on my normal prescription glasses for now. Later on I’m sure I’ll get a pair of those fancy frames and add on some useful glasses and accessories.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

lwy.todd.lu wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:57 am
Thank I’ll try some entry level patches on my normal prescription glasses for now.
lwy.todd.lu make sure that your normal prescription glasses are not bi- or vari-focal as you will find yourself tipping your head back at an un-natural angle to get the front sight in focus.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

BobGee wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:13 am
lwy.todd.lu wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:57 am
Thank I’ll try some entry level patches on my normal prescription glasses for now.
lwy.todd.lu make sure that your normal prescription glasses are not bi- or vari-focal as you will find yourself tipping your head back at an un-natural angle to get the front sight in focus.
thanks~ im normal short sighted. so i think my prescription glasses are just normal glasses with no bifocal.