US Based Walther CP2 Overhaul Options?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

US Based Walther CP2 Overhaul Options?

Post by Gwhite »

The college team I help coach has a Walther CP2 that hasn't been used in a couple decades. We would like to sell it, but it has some issues, and is currently unfireable. I'm sure we could get a better price if it had been freshly overhauled, but a lot will depend on how much that might cost.

It looks like Earl's is still in business, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of any other options.

Thanks!
Rover

Re: US Based Walther CP2 Overhaul Options?

Post by Rover »

I think Pilk was selling a bunch of these a while back (I could be wrong). I'd try there.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I heard back from Earl's, and they have some seal parts, but no longer service air pistols.

I'll try contacting Pilkington and see if they can help. I can also ask Earl if he knows of anyone.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

I bought an one a while back, not functional, and had it overhauled by Harvey Lavigne at Airguns Plus in Birch Hills, Saskatchewan. He's the official Walther guy for air pistols and ISSF firearms in Canada. Recommended. A CP2 is not a firearm under Canadian law (under 500 fps) so there is no need for an import/export certificate and you can send it in the mail.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have all the CP2 seals and overhauled mine. Gimme a shout
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Spektr: Check your PM's

Other possible options for repairs are Pilkington ( swapped emails with Scott), and David Slade at AirgunWerks (haven't actually contacted him yet).

Scott's big concern was the cylinders. Parts to re-seal those are not available. Neal Stepp thought new cylinders might be available, but I couldn't find a source.

I did some further investigating yesterday. After replacing a dead O-ring, 7 of the 8 cylinders hold pressure. Four of them were still pressurized after all these years. I tried filling the remaining four, and only one had a leaky valve. I put one of the cylinders on the pistol, and the firing valve seemed to hold pressure OK.

There are two remaining issues with the pistol:

1) It was stored with the action open, and the bolt won't close. It feels like the O-ring on the bolt may have fossilized and won't compress enough to allow closing the bolt. I didn't want to force anything, but instead of a hard mechanical stop, it feels slightly "rubbery", which makes me think (hope) it's just the O-ring. I took a look at the diagram, and although removing the bolt to replace the O-ring doesn't look too difficult, it will take some work to accomplish. There is a spare O-ring in the case.

2) Something in the firing mechanism is not right. The trigger just flops around between the front & rear stops. Operating the cocking lever doesn't meet with a lot of resistance, and there is no sense that it is latching internally. I had hoped that this was just due to a lack of gas pressure, but when I installed a cylinder with some CO2 in it, there was no change. There are two adjustable springs at the bottom of the trigger that appear to hold the sear up and provide trigger force, and I suspect those may have gone missing. The good news is that there appear to be quite a few places that have parts.

If I get a chance, I will take the grip off and see if the trigger adjust screws/springs have gone missing.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

My German is not what it was...it looks like many of the cylinder rebuild parts are available, at one of these links (depending on which version you have) Enough to have it rebuilt? Maybe.

https://schiesssport-billharz.eu/CP-2-bis-Waff-Nr-5000

https://schiesssport-billharz.eu/CP-2-W ... 0-13250_s4

If you call, they speak English. Who knows, they may even have a cylinder,...

Best regards,
m1963
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Thanks! Now that I know 7 or of 8 cylinders are somewhat functional, I'm mostly looking into the other issues. The reason I couldn't close the bolt is that the cocking lever linkage under the grip wasn't in place properly when the grip was installed. Somebody who wasn't very careful had clearly been poking around internally at some point.
Walther CP2 Cocking Link Loose.jpg
Walther CP2 Cocking Link Fixed.jpg
The cocking lever now closes the bolt, and I can feel it compressing the firing hammer spring. I put a filled cylinder on the pistol, and the firing valve holds pressure. However, the trigger still flops around, and the sear isn't catching the hammer. It may just be an adjustment issue, or something could be busted internally.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

While digging around for some Walther/Hammerli documents, I ran across some information on CO2 cylinders. It was all in German, but I succeeded in converting it to MS Word, and then ran it through their translation system. It has a lot of info on air gun cylinders, including CO2 (attached).
Walther Cylinder Info w 480K to AP40 Conversion.pdf
(224.94 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
They listed replacement cylinders for the CP2, Part # 249 46 63. I did a search, and at least as of 2018, someone still listed them for sale.

Walther considers the service life of steel CO2 cylinders to be 10 years. HOWEVER, at least at one time (~ 2008), they had a service where you could send cylinders to the factory to be examined. If they opened them up and found no corrosion or other signs of problems, they would re-certify them for a total life of 20 years. Basically, if you sent them a cylinder that was (for example) 16 years old, they would only recertify it for an additional 4 years.