Pardin SP 22 VS SP Rapid Fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brakarzac

Pardin SP 22 VS SP Rapid Fire

Post by brakarzac »

Hi All,

Just wondering if its worth sped=nding the extra money buying the Pardini Rapid Fire over the standard SP New?

Only Shoot Standard Pistol and Rapid Fire, and most people I know use the SP 22 New for Rapid Fire match.

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated

Cheers
Brad
crankythunder

Re: Pardin SP 22 VS SP Rapid Fire

Post by crankythunder »

Hi Brad:

I am over here in the States and decided to follow this thread.

I shoot Bullesye Pistol Competition or "Precision Pistol" and do not have any opportunities for Rapid Fire Competitions.

On a interesting note, over here in the States, we have three (or more) models of the Pardini SP New available. The SP Rapid Fire, the SP New, and the SP Bullseye Edition. We even have a choice in barrel length and a model with a internal compensator is available. The primary difference being in the weight of the bolt with the Rapid Fire Model being the lightest Bolt and the Bullseye Edition having the heaviest bolt. I purchased my Pardini Bullseye edition in 2013 when the Bullseye edition first came out.

It is thought that the heavier bolt lends the pistol to better accuracy but slower cycle time. I have not seen any reports that measure the cycling rate of the various pistols. Pardini USA did state that the heavier bolt did produce better accuracy but I do not think that they did very much testing or pursued the matter to the degree necessary to definitely determine the accuracy of each model of pistol. The difference in accuracy was very small if I recollect correctly. I also assume that accuracy would vary from individual pistol to individual pistol and also vary with the different ammo used.

I have a great interest in any testing and reports on the Pardini regarding accuracy and cycling time. In Bullseye Pistol Competitions, our fastest rate of fire is five shots in 10 seconds so cycling rate is not that critical in Bullseye.

Subscribed to this thread to gain information that others may have.

Regards,
Crankster
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

The main difference, as I understand it, is the Rapid Fire Model has the Rapid Fire Bolt which is lighter as well as the tungsten weights for recoil reduction. I believe you would see the main benefits in your rapid fire competitions as compared to the standard pistol matches. I utilize the Rapid Fire Model for standard pistol, sport, bullseye and rapid fire. I need all the help I can get from the recoil reduction and optimized bolt when in the 4-second series. If you need less weight you can take some of the tungsten ones out. I have the extra standard bolt but never use it. Maybe I can pull as little more slow fire accuracy out of the standard bolt as crankythunder mentioned.

If you get the Rapid Fire Model you can get the standard bolt as a back-up or get the SP 22 Standard Model and get the rapid bolt and weights when you are ready. They are somewhat plug-and-play in this regard.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
j-team

Post by j-team »

Unless you are a 580 shooter, you won't notice the difference.

Get which ever one makes you happy!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi Brad,

It has been suggested that the RF model has some free bore ahead of the chamber, i.e. the bullet does not immediately engage the rifling until it has travelled a (very) short distance down the barrel. This allows some of the propelling gas to escape past the bullet and to therefore yield a softer recoil.

That said, I agree with j-team. Unless you are a high achiever, it is hardly worth the extra cost.

Bob
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

If you shoot rapid fire get the rapid fire. The benefit is all in the 4s series.

Putting the SP barrel on a RF slide the recoil is noticeably greater - putting the barrels side by side I can't see any difference.

On the rapid fire there is a smudge of powder residue on the bolt near the chamber, it seems to open with a significant pressure of gas still in the barrel.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

BobGee wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:58 pm Hi Brad,

It has been suggested that the RF model has some free bore ahead of the chamber, i.e. the bullet does not immediately engage the rifling until it has travelled a (very) short distance down the barrel. This allows some of the propelling gas to escape past the bullet and to therefore yield a softer recoil.

That said, I agree with j-team. Unless you are a high achiever, it is hardly worth the extra cost.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I have ordered the SP version of Wilsons Target Arms. I may order the RF conversion if I get serious about Rapid.
Next on the list is a new .32 now that I have secured some powder and primers... Thanks to a fellow shooter from Sydney

Cheers