electronic target vs paper target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
siordian1

electronic target vs paper target

Post by siordian1 »

We finally got electronic targets at Phx. Rod and Gun. We had the old paper system for years. I have shot on it twice, both times with lower scores than my usual paper target scores. Is that normal? I know it's me, but not sure what it is. The background in the sight picture is much brighter. Just wondering if others have had the same issues. Thanks.
Gwhite

Re: electronic target vs paper target

Post by Gwhite »

Electronic targets are typically WAY brighter than the paper target light levels in a lot of ranges. That could definitely throw you off. I actually put a filter lens on my shooting glasses to dim things down a bit when I shoot electronic targets.

The other possibility I can think of is the pacing of things. Paper targets naturally interrupt your shooting periodically. With electronic targets, you can just keep popping away for 60 shots without a break. You may need to pace yourself a bit, at least until you get used to them.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Big S, are you the one responsible for their installation?
j-team

Post by j-team »

siordian1 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:00 pm We finally got electronic targets at Phx. Rod and Gun. We had the old paper system for years. I have shot on it twice, both times with lower scores than my usual paper target scores. Is that normal? I know it's me, but not sure what it is. The background in the sight picture is much brighter. Just wondering if others have had the same issues. Thanks.
Most of them have adjustable brightness, try adjusting the light a bit "dimmer". Rifle shooters seem to like the targets so bright it hurts, whereas pistol shooters prefer a bit less light on the targets and some light at the firing point so we can see our sights.
marvel22

Post by marvel22 »

Roger,

Eugene finally got the board to spend 5k. He made up some mounting frames out of 2x4 boards. They work great. I just have to get used to them.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

what brand of EST did you get?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

I will need to take a look and let you know.
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

What we got is the InBand Air: https://inband.fi/?page_id=116
They work great most of the time, there are still some quirks and wrinkles, mostly due to the fact that the software could use some improvements, plus it runs on cheap Windows tables - and we all know how "great" Windows is. But all this can and will be worked out. overall I'm very happy with these targets.

The brightness can be adjusted in the software, plus we will need to do something about our ceiling lights because they all have different color temperatures :)))
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

How much does the system cost? I've been considering investing in an electronic system.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

javaduke

Post by javaduke »

We paid about $930 USD per unit but the shipping to US was obviously very expensive. We ended up with about $6k total for 5 targets, not including computers, stands and power supply units.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I wrote a review of the Inband Air: https://www.olympicpistol.com/inband-ai ... et-review/ It used to be priced about €1000. You will have to buy or make a pellet stopper too.

@javaduke Which tablets do you run it in?

I use a virtualized W10 on a Linux Host with VirtualBox.
Ramon
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

My Meyton came on Monday and just set it up. €2,900 is worth every cent. I was using paper for years and was not liking to walk to change targets every 10 shots.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

For a long time now, I've been thinking of designing a cheap target changer. The idea would be that you have a stack of targets above the aiming area, and a basket underneath. A solenoid would actuate a mechanism that would drop the last target fired into the basket, and drop the next clean one into place. It's still paper, and still manual scoring, but it saves all the stopping & walking to change targets.
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:36 pm For a long time now, I've been thinking of designing a cheap target changer. The idea would be that you have a stack of targets above the aiming area, and a basket underneath. A solenoid would actuate a mechanism that would drop the last target fired into the basket, and drop the next clean one into place. It's still paper, and still manual scoring, but it saves all the stopping & walking to change targets.

Great idea! My home-built AP target holder uses two slotted vertical sheet metal rails to hold the targets, with a plywood stop at the bottom. The slots are about 5mm wide, so targets are held in place but easily drop in and come out from the top (manually). It should be simple to use a solenoid-activated post below to hold and release shot targets, but the feeding mechanism could be trickier. Maybe cannibalizing the feeding device from an old printer?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:36 pm For a long time now, I've been thinking of designing a cheap target changer. The idea would be that you have a stack of targets above the aiming area, and a basket underneath. A solenoid would actuate a mechanism that would drop the last target fired into the basket, and drop the next clean one into place. It's still paper, and still manual scoring, but it saves all the stopping & walking to change targets.
Gehman sells one...

https://gehmann.com/en/195-Remote-contr ... 3FCB1D6E3D
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

They may make one, but "sell" is tricky. I tried to find a price, and came up empty. It looks very nice, but it also looks like serious German over-engineered steel (presumably with an internal pellet trap). My idea was something that would hold about 15 targets, and hang in front of a separate (cheap) pellet trap. The mechanism would be mostly wire frames to hold & catch the targets and 3D printed plastic bits.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We have the target carriers. We purchased them from Neal Stepp at ISS, in 2015. He is a dealer for Gehman. And you are right, they are very good quality and will last a lifetime.

https://gehmann.com/en/182-Electronic-t ... 678F9DBD15