Air Cylinder Recertification?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Air Cylinder Recertification?

Post by kbean »

Not sure what forum to post this, but can air cylinders be re-certified so that they can be used in matches or do they have to be replaced after ten years?
Thank you!
bdutton

Re: Air Cylinder Recertification?

Post by bdutton »

I know of no manufacturer that will re-certify. You have to replace them. You can use them for practice or for NRA matches but ISSF rules require replacement.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

it's been a long time since I worked with high pressure tanks so the rules may have changed, but it used to be that steel high pressure cylinders (SCUBA, Nitrogen, CO2 etc) could be inspected and hydro tested to recertify them for use. Aluminum tanks could not. This was a US DOT rule. I think the main difference is that in steel rust and cracks are the most common failure modes and are visible. Fatigue is a bigger risk in aluminum and is not detectable by visual inspection or hydro testing.

I've not seen a lot of airgun tanks, but the ones I own and have seen look and feel like aluminum.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I personally have had my cylinders re-dated by SAM, but they are now out of business.

I have heard (on TT) about another company (Pardini?) doing it.
ModestoPete

Post by ModestoPete »

I believe that the original question was about the cylinder attached to the pistol and now the one it is filled from.
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

I have had the outer cylinder sleeves replaced on a couple of Morini 162ei cylinders by the UK importer.
Cost a little more than half the price of a complete new cylinders.