Pardini SP: Trigger has stopped running smoothly

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Korp

Pardini SP: Trigger has stopped running smoothly

Post by Korp »

First off: English is not my first language so you'll have to excuse me while I try to use the words I know to describe my problem :)

I bought a new Pardini SP two years ago, that I have been using quite a lot. This season the trigger has stopped running smoothly and gives off a scraping feel to it when squeezing it. I can still shoot with it but the psychological impact is noticeable and my impression is that the trigger gets caught (if only very slightly) several times along it's travel path.

Any ideas?

I can already see the "you should probably clean it" answers in my near future but if anyone has an idea of what the problem could be, more specifically, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
crankythunder

Re: Pardini SP: Trigger has stopped running smoothly

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Korp:

I have owned my Pardini SP since I purchased it new in 2013. I compete with it a couple times a week, all year long so it has seen quite a bit of usage. Every six to 12 months, my trigger gets a bit gritty as well. What I do is what I learned from my benchrest shooting days whereas I remove the grips from the firearm and repeatedly squirt lighter fluid on the trigger parts and then blow them out with compressed air. The last time I squirt lighter fluid I let it air dry. The lighter fluid will evaporate and leave a light waxy oily film that is perfect for lubricating triggers.

Personally, I remove and inspect the bolt buffer although I rarely replace it. currently it is cracked although I saw that it was cracked and replaced it and then after the next match, it was cracked again. I do not know if the bolt buffer will react to lighter fluid so I remove it before lighter fluid cleaning. Easy enough to do with the grips removed.

Hope this helps and good shooting!

Regards,
Crankster
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Korp wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:57 am First off: English is not my first language so you'll have to excuse me while I try to use the words I know to describe my problem :)
Rover knows some choice "special vocabulary" he could share with you.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The problem is most likely an accumulation of dirt glued in place by residual oil flying around inside the pistol.

I would start by visiting a computer or camera store, and getting a can of "duster" compressed gas to blown anything loose out of the way. The Pardini gives you pretty good access to the sear & hammer components, so you can probably get inside with a cotton swab to clean things a bit. I believe Pardini recommends NOT lubricating the sear & hammer interface, but it you flood the area with something like lighter fluid, you run the risk of removing the lubrication on things that should be lubricated, like the pivot pins.

It's probably hard to find outside of the US, but TSI301 aerosol is a very light lubricant in a solvent carrier.

http://tsi301.com/main.htm

Our host recommends it for cleaning air pistols, and it should be safe for the buffer material. Newer pistols have the buffer inside the bolt, and there's nothing to worry about. You could use that to blast the hammer & trigger system, and then clean it off the face of the hammer & sear with a cotton swab.
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

Actually Pardini DOES recommend applying a very small amount of moly grease to the hammer/sear surfaces. See here: https://www.pardiniguns.com/store/produ ... cts_id=929

There's also video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1nD387EhA
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Crud, brass shavings, can get between the trigger bar and the frame, (left hand side when viewed from the rear) its a large area which can create a lot of friction, the only way I know to get rid of it is spray solvent followed by a light spray oil. Stripping it down is too tedious.
Do this before you grease the sear.

The sear does need regular greasing with moly grease through the hole in the side - pull the slide all the way back to push the hammer down, maybe pull the trigger too, insert grease with a toothpick.

Failing that the sear surfaces are relatively soft and can get damaged, they absolutely must be greased and have plenty of engagement - 1-2mm - but usually its crud under the trigger bar.

If you need more explanation or pictures just say.
Last edited by JamesH on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

This brings back a conversation I had with Vladimir at PardiniUSA.

He advised me not to use my UltraSonic cleaner as the chance of little parts vibrating out was possible.

Rather, he suggested the use of an old baking pan. Place the stripped receiver in the pan, cover with Mineral Spirits, and rock the pan side to side to flush the "Krud" away. Then drain and air dry followed by light lubrication.

Cheers,

Dave
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

This part is the trigger bar and runs on the left hand side
I take the barrel, slide and grip off, tilt 45 degrees upside down and use spray solvent with a tube on the nozzle to blast out that area from the rear, then lightly spray oil into the whole area.
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

My almost new SP recently started also started "feeling rough" at the start of the 2nd stage.
Today I applied moly grease following Pardini's recommendation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1nD387EhA
Instantly feels normal again.
John
Korp

Post by Korp »

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions!
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

It can also be gunk in the ball spring screw in front of the trigger - this is what gives most of the second stage feel.
Do not overtighten the allen screw in the centre of this larger screw, they jam never to be unjammed.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The Benelli MP95 & MP90 triggers use the same spring loaded ball arrangement to create the second stage of the trigger pull. They can also get sticky from fossilized lube. On the Pardinis & the MP90S's, you can completely disassemble the screw, and then clean & re-lubricate the parts. On the MP95's, the screw is a permanent assembly. I've had some success by removing those, and repeatedly depressing the ball with a drop of solvent on the end.

I think over time the ball wears into the end of the screw, and can start sticking just due to wedging itself mechanically into the tapered hole it has formed. Over tightening the 2nd stage screw in a Pardini would produce the same effect. Grease will help, but at some point you are best off replacing the outer screw, or in the case of he MP95's, the entire screw assembly.
Duzi3023

Post by Duzi3023 »

Did you find a solution to this problem? Mine trigger feels exactly the same as you are described yours and I tried cleaning it vigorously a few times and lubricating but nothing helped.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Short answer, clean it!

Not for the faint hearted but when my Pardini trigger starts getting gritty I know it's time for a full disassembly, cleaning and reassembly.
Worked every time I did it. Like new.
I take the opportunity to check for wear, stone sear/hammer if needed (polish not cut...), and clean parts individually.
Does require some level of skill and knowledge on how it works, but it's pretty doable if you are comfortable taking guns apart.

Hope this helps
David M

Post by David M »

Take the grip off and liberally spray clean it with a can of carburettor cleaner from the auto store.
Spray in an open area. It will dry clean, then light oil and come molybdenum grease on the sear.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Duzi3023 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:55 pm Did you find a solution to this problem? Mine trigger feels exactly the same as you are described yours and I tried cleaning it vigorously a few times and lubricating but nothing helped.
A lot depends on what and how you cleaned it, not how vigorous you were. If you didn't remove and disassemble the 2nd stage screw assembly, then you missed the parts that will probably make the most difference.