Commonwealth games

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Commonwealth games

Post by conradin »

Did they drop shooting at the commonwealth game? Usually it is a whole lot more fun to watch than the Olympic games. I still remember there were EIGHT athletes from Norfolk island and equally EIGHT Falkland Islands to compete. SIX from Niue. Plus many smaller countries that I have never heard of. Such as Saint Helena. I think the only one to miss out of are those guys stationed in Antartica. In fact, Biathlon should be a national sport of Antartica.
Tim S

Re: Commonwealth games

Post by Tim S »

Conradin,

This has been discussed already I think.

After Birmingham agreed to take on the hosting at short notice, British shooting shooting were invited to put in a bid for a shooting programme. In short they didn't read the brief, and submitted a schedule that was not going going to be accepted (too big, too expensive, not held locally). The organising committee called their bluff, and declined to Include any shooting shooting events, much to the loss of the athletes, coaches, and public.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Lets hope that the program will be back by the next games. I like it because it gives chance to small nations or colonies a reason to compete. No matter how small your country, you will always have slots. Unlike nowadays in the Olympics which set up a minimum scores to get in. Opening up for small nations or dependencies mean that those athletes will encourage people in their homeland to learn and practice the sport. I mean, Eddie the Eagle gave the sport of ski jumping a spotlight that will never ever happen again. Shooting is the same. Then there were skiers who was 200% slower than those professionals, especially in alpine skiing, a chance to compete. Those are the true sportsman, not the ones with the medals. If there were three skiers skiing knowing that they will be the last 3 to cross the line, all of them will sky has hard as they could so to avoid winning the Lanterne rouge (not that is a bad thing).
j-team

Post by j-team »

So, no mention of 25m and 50m events? Or is that what they mean by "phase 2" ??
David M

Post by David M »

https://www.vic.gov.au/victoria-2026-co ... ts-program
Core group sports announced, still waiting for shooting to be added.
Events unknown.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

It seems air is in the Comm Games in Aus, can this be pushed to include sport and rapid?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

JamesH wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:47 am It seems air is in the Comm Games in Aus, can this be pushed to include sport and rapid?
He's gotta be dreaming! Air and trap only.

Bob
David M

Post by David M »

If 5 shot rapidfire airpistol comes in after Paris (strong rumour only), may be they
will include it, who knows!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

David M wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:51 am If 5 shot rapidfire airpistol comes in after Paris (strong rumour only), may be they
Oh no, another nail in the coffin of guns that go bang!

Bob
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

BobGee wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:40 am
David M wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:51 am If 5 shot rapidfire airpistol comes in after Paris (strong rumour only), may be they
Oh no, another nail in the coffin of guns that go bang!

Bob
Which is why ISSF has been so very careful to strangle RF Air. And I think they are likely to continue to do so - rightly, in my opinion.