Questionable Sales Tactic

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Questionable Sales Tactic

Post by conradin »

When I put a particular model of pistols on the sales session here, someone then put an ad selling the same model and then sell it much cheaper. Why wait until someone selling it? Why cannot you put in an ad all along, especially telling the reason being "away for a month"? I cannot find the away for a month ad. Granted this is a free country you can do whatever you want, especially we are in a capitalistic country. But doing that I think is dodgy. I cannot pinpoint how to use a word to describe this sale from another person. Weak in ethics? Also selling it cheaper than the original ad creates a price war of decreasing returns. One is better off let the first seller to finish a sale, then you put yours because that means the remaining potential buys will have to compete with each other to buy yours. This is not just me. I remember seeing quite a few examples of that, and the sellers and the copycat both slash the sales price to the point of completely underneath the market price.
I just feel that one should have some decency, I was annoyed but also disappointed. I thought this is a relatively small community in which everyone knows someone who knows someone. For me, I am a very very different person in real life than here; but when it comes to things like buy or sell, I take it very serious. In any case, the piggyback seller gives me a very bad impression. I thought the community is better than that. Now it is like sales in Craigslist style.
Rover

Re: Questionable Sales Tactic

Post by Rover »

Place your right hand over your heart and avow, "This is the American Way."
Then lower your price, so that he must drop his. Immediately pull your ad, so he must sell at that low price.
After it sells, put your ad back with a higher price than originally to make up for your time.
If/when someone bitches, you just say, "You shoulda bought it before I saw how much some chump paid for that crappy one."
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover is always the wise one.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Rover wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:25 am Place your right hand over your heart and avow, "This is the American Way."
Then lower your price, so that he must drop his. Immediately pull your ad, so he must sell at that low price.
After it sells, put your ad back with a higher price than originally to make up for your time.
If/when someone bitches, you just say, "You shoulda bought it before I saw how much some chump paid for that crappy one."
This is really great advice. Do it !
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

+1

Bob