pellet materials

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

pellet materials

Post by conradin »

Anyone knows exactly what is the combination of materials that are used to make pellets? I know it has lead on them. But when I put them under a blow torch, it does not melt as I expected. So much impurity. There must be something else other than lead in it. Here is what I did melting pellets to try to turn it into a back stop. The one inside the heavy silver round tube is the melted pellets fresh from half a can of pellets (RWS), it is my first try. The other two are perfect example of melting lead into a round back stop. Image
Rover

Re: pellet materials

Post by Rover »

Most cast bullets have lead, tin, and antimony.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

If you are really interested, take your ingots to the local metal scrapyard that possess an X-ray analyzer.

Bring donuts or cash to "grease the skids".

I had a friend take a box of my mystery metal to the local yard and they charged him $20.00 USD for five tests.

Cheers,

Dave
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

fc60 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:42 pm . . . take your ingots to the local metal scrapyard that possess an X-ray analyzer.
Or take 'em a pickup-truck-load of used catalytic converters . . . then use those proceeds to buy a few tins of pellets & some hooch.

(Appalachian-practicality at its best! Hope this helps!)
Laughing Bear

Post by Laughing Bear »

fc60 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:42 pm Greetings,

If you are really interested, take your ingots to the local metal scrapyard that possess an X-ray analyzer.

Bring donuts or cash to "grease the skids".

I had a friend take a box of my mystery metal to the local yard and they charged him $20.00 USD for five tests.

Cheers,

Dave
Here is what Dave is referring to...
The Silicon and Iron readings are from the filing/sanding of the ingot to get a better reading. (I have to remember to wipe it down better, before I take it in.)
The metal is what I gathered from my pellet trap. I shoot mostly RWS Basic or Hobby (shameless plug for Rover) and maybe some odds and ends given by friends to try in my 747 or K58.
So, mostly lead and some antimony
Attachments
pellet ingots
pellet ingots
Raiding picnic baskets just south of the Border in
Washington State