Home electronic target options

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dmaryakh

Re: Home electronic target options

Post by Dmaryakh »

If haven’t already - need to take a look at SportQuantum System as well. Everything you need to setup a lane is in a box (including a standard android tablet and a built-in wifi router) and you are actually shooting at a computer screen so infinite extensibility and zero consumables. The best ROI of all existing options on the market. It is also the only one with impressive list of elite level shooters/olympians being on board and endorsing (including our own Lucas Kozeniesky)

https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/sq10-silver/
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

doog99 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:32 am I may be wrong I thought they said something about it when I was on the phone with them but that is nice to know. Do you like your system?
Yes, I like it. As Gwhite mentions the HS10 are nice because that they use very little consumables as long as you shoot well enough. There are no moving parts either. Apart from cleaning they are basically maintenance free. For me a Sius was a no brainer since I live near their headquarters in Switzerland. It's also the system I encounter the most in competition.

As for the original questions in the thread I wouldn't call them "portable". Setting up is fairly easy but the size/weight/mounting requirements make them more of a reasonably movable static system than a portable one. I certainly wouldn't want to set it up and break it down for every training.

I find the Sius Lane software very user friendly. It only handles a single lane but it's straight forward to use.

Personally my first step for a home setup would also be a Scatt though. Especially when it's not set up permanently. Also a good lighting solution. Just pointing a lamp at the target is usually not a good emulation of a competition range. 10m ranges have to be very well lit as per ISSF rules. I installed a significant amount of extra lighting in my workshop to achieve the ISSF mandated levels. Just pointing a spot at the target leads to a very unbalanced distribution in a comparatively dimly lit home environment.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

You can pick up if you are lucky a Scatt second hand, but using it for "scoring" is rather hit or miss if you forgive the pun, what it is brilliant at is analysis of the shot, but for actual scoring you need a target, paper or electronic and you need feed back so the camera idea is nice but you still have to walk down and change the target or have a wizzer set up to bring it back to you, you can make a whizzer. I take my shooting very seriously so made a FreeTarget as the price of the "professional" ones made my eyes water and I priced up making the FreeTarget and it was a no brainer for me, I just had to have a go. I've now put thousands and thousands of shots through my home made electronic target and it has not let me down, and all I've had to do is vacuum it out now and then to get the paper witness paper punchings out along with a particular breed of spiders that think it is the best place on earth to live. As to the SportsQuantum targets they are fab and my club has just bought a set of them for our range, they can do more than just put up pistol or rifle targets as you shoot at a computer screen as they project training target drills and games such as duelling. Like the FreeTarget work via wifi so you don't have cables to set up or fall over if you leave your target set up in your workshop. The freetarget does have a usb cable option and was useful at the start and is the way I did it to start with but adding a wifi setup later was no problem and is what I use all of the time now. You now have too much information and certainly too much choice.
hengehold

Post by hengehold »

Grippy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:08 am
doog99 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:32 am I may be wrong I thought they said something about it when I was on the phone with them but that is nice to know. Do you like your system?
Yes, I like it. As Gwhite mentions the HS10 are nice because that they use very little consumables as long as you shoot well enough. There are no moving parts either. Apart from cleaning they are basically maintenance free. For me a Sius was a no brainer since I live near their headquarters in Switzerland. It's also the system I encounter the most in competition.

As for the original questions in the thread I wouldn't call them "portable". Setting up is fairly easy but the size/weight/mounting requirements make them more of a reasonably movable static system than a portable one. I certainly wouldn't want to set it up and break it down for every training.

I find the Sius Lane software very user friendly. It only handles a single lane but it's straight forward to use.

Personally my first step for a home setup would also be a Scatt though. Especially when it's not set up permanently. Also a good lighting solution. Just pointing a lamp at the target is usually not a good emulation of a competition range. 10m ranges have to be very well lit as per ISSF rules. I installed a significant amount of extra lighting in my workshop to achieve the ISSF mandated levels. Just pointing a spot at the target leads to a very unbalanced distribution in a comparatively dimly lit home environment.
After reading many of the responses in this thread, I have decided that a SCAT MX W2 wireless is probably the best solution to allow training at home and also support live fire training in some capacity. Now I need to get educated on SCAT. I have only used it once with a rifle discipline where the rifle weighs about 16lbs. I imagine that connecting the SCAT apparatus to an air pistol may throw off the balance quite a bit since the overall weight of the pistol is relatively light.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The newer SCATT sensors are pretty light. You won't notice that much difference. Call it a "barrel weight" & get back to shooting.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Grippy-

"I find the Sius Lane software very user friendly. It only handles a single lane but it's straight forward to use."

We have only had the SIUSLane software go wonky on two lanes, in the last decade. The fix was an un-install/reinstall. We suspect that the shooter/user played a role in the (for lack of a better word), "wonky-ness."

SIUSLane is very stable.

Anyone out there know what the new product SIUS is teasing, is?
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I use a SCATT with my air pistol at home all the time and really can't even tell the difference
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

m1963 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:11 am <snip>
Anyone out there know what the new product SIUS is teasing, is?
I hope they are replacing their proprietary network system. It can only handle sets of 10 targets. We have 13, and they are set up as a bank of 6 & a bank of seven. You need a computer for each bank, and a third computer to run the whole show. The network is based on 40 year old technology, and the guy from SIUS who installed it for us didn't understand it. I finally mapped out the whole setup and had to make a half dozen changes to get it all working well.

The software is extremely capable in terms of supporting different types of competition, but the main control software has more than 40 small icons scattered all around the screen. You only use about 6 or 8 to run an air pistol match. They really need to simplify the user interface so it only presents the icons you will actually need.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Would be awesome to have a system that could interface between SIUS and SCATT so that you could track your shot with a SCATT without having to calibrate, and be able to get all of the data on one screen instead of using one screen for your SCATT data and a different screen for your score data.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

On related subject, has anyone seen an electronic target system for an indoor 50 feet range (22 and CF)?
mteinum

Post by mteinum »

Brian James wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:14 pm On related subject, has anyone seen an electronic target system for an indoor 50 feet range (22 and CF)?
SIUS HS10 can be used for .22LR:

Mounting of target – small bore rifle 50m
Example of an installation – small bore rifle 50m
Example of an installation (overview) – small bore rifle 50m

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LtYPfw ... tfNai/view
First shot always results in good group. The others just don't follow
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I'd like to get a SIUS but I wonder how difficult it would be for me to mount, because the way my basement is set up, I would have to mount it crooked on the wall. I'm basically shooting from one diagonal corner to the other. My current pellet trap is sitting on a shelf that I mounted, so it's easy to turn in whatever direction I need.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

Get SQ10 as it is designed to be mounted on a tv tripod so can rotate it any way you want. Also SQ10 is the best choice if you do not have exactly 10m to work with
m1963

Post by m1963 »

PirateJohn wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:36 pm I'd like to get a SIUS but I wonder how difficult it would be for me to mount, because the way my basement is set up, I would have to mount it crooked on the wall. I'm basically shooting from one diagonal corner to the other. My current pellet trap is sitting on a shelf that I mounted, so it's easy to turn in whatever direction I need.
The SIUS HS10 mounts on a tripod like stand that can fit into a corner, or it can be mounted to the wall. You do not need to buy the stand. It lacks some of the more modern features available on other devices (tablet compatibility, for instance)...However, it also costs $1200 to $1500 less than similar options offered by competitors...
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

The SQ10 is way out of my price range
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

m1963 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:08 pm The SIUS HS10 mounts on a tripod like stand that can fit into a corner, or it can be mounted to the wall. You do not need to buy the stand. It lacks some of the more modern features available on other devices (tablet compatibility, for instance)...However, it also costs $1200 to $1500 less than similar options offered by competitors...

Best regards,
m1963
Good to know. I don't need tablet compatibility since I use a cheap $90 ASUS laptop for my SCATT right now.
mteinum

Post by mteinum »

PirateJohn wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:36 pm I'd like to get a SIUS but I wonder how difficult it would be for me to mount, because the way my basement is set up, I would have to mount it crooked on the wall. I'm basically shooting from one diagonal corner to the other. My current pellet trap is sitting on a shelf that I mounted, so it's easy to turn in whatever direction I need.
I'm in the same situation. I have a HS10 in my garage, have to setup the target/firing point diagonal, corner to corner. The garage is concrete wall, floor and roof. Took a 2x12" board, 45 deg cuts in both end and mounted it to the corner (expanding plugs).

SIUS Lane (and Data) can scale the target (to any distance) if you don't have 10m, but the paper inserts are limited to 10m (59.5 mm), ~7m (40.5 mm) and ~5m (30.5 mm)

https://best-targets.com/overview/elect ... ls-hs-s-10
First shot always results in good group. The others just don't follow
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Fortunately, I do have 10 meters with a little bit of wiggle room. I bought my house in May and when I came to look at it, I brought a tape measure before naming an offer to be sure that I would be able to fit a range.

I did have to get creative, though. I shoot out of the laundry room, between a wall and support beam that are about a foot apart, over a chair, and to a shelf I mounted on the rec room wall.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

there is such a software: ShotAnalyzer http://dot4you.ch/en/home-2/
the website states that it links the SCATT to an EST (SIUS, DISAG and others).
i have not tested and have not heard anyone talk about it...
PirateJohn wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:53 am Would be awesome to have a system that could interface between SIUS and SCATT so that you could track your shot with a SCATT without having to calibrate, and be able to get all of the data on one screen instead of using one screen for your SCATT data and a different screen for your score data.
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
MRTARGET

Post by MRTARGET »

doog99 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:30 pm I'm actually quoting different systems now. SIUS HS10 is about 2200 a lane, Mega link is similar with both being PC Based. Kongsberg's US Distributor "Mr target" has been horrible to get ahold of and gave a quote of over 12K for a lane. Orion Athena for home is supposed to be released sometime this month, per the email they sent me last week. The Athena will be the cheapest by far if you use just the Internet and don't get a display. All of them will also require an annual software license
MR TARGET now has a dedicated Kongsberg rep in North America working sales and support.
The PC Target home target option is NOT 12k for a lane, not even half that at 2023 post covid distribution pricing.
Please reach out if you have any questions. It uses the same OpticScore target as their flagship system but uses simple software on your computer.
Also, check out the new eScore wireless firing point system.