Home electronic target options

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
hengehold

Home electronic target options

Post by hengehold »

I would like to get an electronic 10m target to use at home and maybe at work. Prefer to use a target system that does not require the internet. A quick internet search resulted in several options, many were from companies OCONUS.

I think my top priorities are:
1. Ease/speed of setup.
2. Portability.
3. User friendly software for viewing target/score.

Looking for suggestions.

Sincerely,

-New air pistol shooter
Th.

Re: Home electronic target options

Post by Th. »

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Depends on why you want it. If you want to improve your scores, I'd get an electronic trainer first (Scatt or Noptel). You will learn a lot more than just seeing your scores add up. If you want one to more closely simulate competition, then the freETarget looks like a good way to go.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Has anybody set up a free e target yet? I'm thinking of buying their pre-built set up since I don't have a lot of time for a project, but since it's almost $400 after shipping, I want to make sure it's worth getting.
hengehold

Post by hengehold »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:12 am Depends on why you want it. If you want to improve your scores, I'd get an electronic trainer first (Scatt or Noptel). You will learn a lot more than just seeing your scores add up. If you want one to more closely simulate competition, then the freETarget looks like a good way to go.
Great point about the Scatt. I will look into that first.
Pitt Willett

Post by Pitt Willett »

I know you mentioned an electronic target system, but an alternative is to just set up a pellet trap and shoot paper targets. This doesn't necessarily mean low tech though. My system consists of a pellet trap, projector tripod on wheels to get the trap at correct height, clip on LED light to shine on the target, and a Wyze camera/app also on a second tripod in front of the target. Using that I can spot the shots on my phone real time without having a spotting scope get in the way. Having the shots show on the phone real time is kinda like having an electronic target system but of course it doesn't keep score for you. I saw that tip about Wyze camera on this forum. Kinda off topic here but being new AP shooter was wondering if you considered a simpler approach to start out with.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Not sure if it has changed, but SCATTs have been hard to get because they're made in Russia.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

PirateJohn wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:47 pm Not sure if it has changed, but SCATTs have been hard to get because they're made in Russia.
Somebody posted just a couple weeks back that they are available now:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 7&#p320767
Xman

Post by Xman »

Pitt Willett wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:31 pm but an alternative is to just set up a pellet trap and shoot paper targets. This doesn't necessarily mean low tech though. My system consists of a pellet trap, projector tripod on wheels to get the trap at correct height, clip on LED light to shine on the target, and a Wyze camera/app also on a second tripod in front of the target. Using that I can spot the shots on my phone real time without having a spotting scope get in the way. Kinda off topic here but being new AP shooter was wondering if you considered a simpler approach to start out with.
Works fine for us peons.
BTW the blue color is just camera color error. The light is actually white.
Attachments
LOW Tech Target.jpg
LOW Tech Target.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 15426 times
LOWTech Bench 1.jpg
LOWTech Bench 1.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 15426 times
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

PirateJohn wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:08 am Has anybody set up a free e target yet? I'm thinking of buying their pre-built set up since I don't have a lot of time for a project, but since it's almost $400 after shipping, I want to make sure it's worth getting.
i've posted on another thread my build of the freETarget: http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=62353&start=60
you can buy now the complete housing, if you don't want to build it yourself: https://free-e-target.com/store/
you can also check out what other people built on the facebook freETarget support group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/831490281129882
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
doog99

Post by doog99 »

I'm actually quoting different systems now. SIUS HS10 is about 2200 a lane, Mega link is similar with both being PC Based. Kongsberg's US Distributor "Mr target" has been horrible to get ahold of and gave a quote of over 12K for a lane. Orion Athena for home is supposed to be released sometime this month, per the email they sent me last week. The Athena will be the cheapest by far if you use just the Internet and don't get a display. All of them will also require an annual software license
hengehold

Post by hengehold »

doog99 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:30 pm I'm actually quoting different systems now. SIUS HS10 is about 2200 a lane, Mega link is similar with both being PC Based. Kongsberg's US Distributor "Mr target" has been horrible to get ahold of and gave a quote of over 12K for a lane. Orion Athena for home is supposed to be released sometime this month, per the email they sent me last week. The Athena will be the cheapest by far if you use just the Internet and don't get a display. All of them will also require an annual software license
Thanks for sharing. With annual software license fees, The Scatt is sounding better all the time. Even if the Scatt has a higher sticker price, it will probably be cheaper in the long run (5-10 yrs).
hengehold

Post by hengehold »

Xman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:28 pm
Pitt Willett wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:31 pm but an alternative is to just set up a pellet trap and shoot paper targets. This doesn't necessarily mean low tech though. My system consists of a pellet trap, projector tripod on wheels to get the trap at correct height, clip on LED light to shine on the target, and a Wyze camera/app also on a second tripod in front of the target. Using that I can spot the shots on my phone real time without having a spotting scope get in the way. Kinda off topic here but being new AP shooter was wondering if you considered a simpler approach to start out with.
Works fine for us peons.
Nice rig. I like the projector idea. Makes for cheap target replacement.
Xman

Post by Xman »

hengehold wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:20 pm
Xman wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:28 pm
Works fine for us peons.
Nice rig. I like the projector idea. Makes for cheap target replacement.
It’s not a projected image it’s an actual target held on with push pens on a box filled with rags. The lighting are 2 high intensity LEDs flashlight type illuminations.
Th.

Post by Th. »

https://www.seta-online.com/en-gb
Maybe this is an option.
Pitt Willett

Post by Pitt Willett »

I'm glad you sent pics Xman that looks almost identical to my set up. I'll also add that one is able to do some shooting drills using paper that aren't practical with ETS - such as shooting at a vertical line instead of round bull. My coach recommended that as most of my points lost seem due more to X direction errors than Y. There's also quite a bit of consumables for ETS such as ribbon rolls and target faces. Not that I'm against ETS. I think they are awesome but maybe not everyone is aware of the consumable costs involved.
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

doog99 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:30 pm All of them will also require an annual software license
I have a Sius HS10 with the Sius Lane software and there is no annual license cost.
doog99

Post by doog99 »

I may be wrong I thought they said something about it when I was on the phone with them but that is nice to know. Do you like your system?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The college I coach at has 13 SIUS targets, and they are quite nice (but expensive). The SIUS HS10 is a combined optical & acoustic system, so you don't need to mess with backing paper rolls. The middle of the target is monitored with the optical system, and shots outside the black that hit the backer are done acoustically like the freETarget system.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Grippy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:41 am
doog99 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:30 pm All of them will also require an annual software license
I have a Sius HS10 with the Sius Lane software and there is no annual license cost.
Agreed. There is no annual software license cost for the SIUS HS 10. Additionally, they go on sale in the US, from time to time, and can be had for $1799, which was the price of our most recent purchase.

(The Athena/Orion target is heavily marketed; but sure seems to be vaporware, with regard to home use. Additionally, if you 'try to build' a system the cost is virtually the same as the SIUS; plus annual maintenance fees for the software.)