Rear sight recommendation

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SRay53txtn

Rear sight recommendation

Post by SRay53txtn »

If you had a choice of rear sight for smallbore prone: Warner #1, Centra Spy, or other, and why?
1845greyhounds

Re: Rear sight recommendation

Post by 1845greyhounds »

They all work. I think it comes down to what you like and/or have. I've been shooting a 1/4 minute Warner for years. I had it, I was used to it, and I don't find the extra resolution of a 10 or 20 click sight necessary for most outdoor 50y/50m/100y shooting. Some people love their 10 or 20 click sights and most people use them. To my albeit, limited knowledge, most of the common 10 and 20 click sights have enough elevation to shoot 50y to 100y.

Warner isn't the only option for 1/4 minute sights. Centra makes a good one. There's also Phoenix Precision, PNW,...
rbs

Post by rbs »

If I were looking for a new rear sight, I would take a hard look at the Centra Spy. I really like the compact design, and think it could allow a person to watch wind flags without moving your head. I use a blinder on my non shooting eye, so my view is sometime hindered.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

I would go would with Centra Spy (compact both in usage and transport, as well as being a little more economical if you are buying one for each position), or the Anschutz 7020 (with a little modification can be turned upside down). One thing folks forget with any of these is to clean and maintain them - be sure you add that to your list of things to do.

(Below) The sights we purchased from Mark Trew over a 1 yr period for 3P and Air.
IMG_1921.jpg
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

aalbert wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:07 am I would go would with Centra Spy (compact both in usage and transport, as well as being a little more economical if you are buying one for each position), or the Anschutz 7020 (with a little modification can be turned upside down). One thing folks forget with any of these is to clean and maintain them - be sure you add that to your list of things to do.

(Below) The sights we purchased from Mark Trew over a 1 yr period for 3P and Air.

IMG_1921.jpg
How do you clean and maintain your spy sights?
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

Take the turret out, and get the dirt and crud out of the base (which is most exposed in my opinion)... Re-oil/grease them with very fine instrument/watch oil or moly, and re-assemble. There is a gib adjustment on the back, that basically pushes a plate against the turret - make sure the doesn't have play, and tweak it in.

The Turret itself, and be taken apart (if so, do it in a plastic container to catch bearings, etc), but again you are basically wanting to clear our dirt, and give a little lube to help things out.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

aalbert wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:07 pm Take the turret out, and get the dirt and crud out of the base (which is most exposed in my opinion)... Re-oil/grease them with very fine instrument/watch oil or moly, and re-assemble. There is a gib adjustment on the back, that basically pushes a plate against the turret - make sure the doesn't have play, and tweak it in.

The Turret itself, and be taken apart (if so, do it in a plastic container to catch bearings, etc), but again you are basically wanting to clear our dirt, and give a little lube to help things out.
How do you go about removing the turret?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

GolfShot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 amHow do you go about removing the turret?
I was thinking the same. Is that the whole eyepiece block, or just the crenellated top?
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

I put this together last year, but never shared it ... Sorry for the file size, but if you are looking to crack open a Spy, it is well worth it.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/centra_spy/ ... ervice.pdf
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

aalbert wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:33 pm I put this together last year, but never shared it ... Sorry for the file size, but if you are looking to crack open a Spy, it is well worth it.

Thank you, that's very detailed.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

aalbert wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:33 pm I put this together last year, but never shared it ... Sorry for the file size, but if you are looking to crack open a Spy, it is well worth it.

Thanks a-lot for this detailed instruction, I really appreciate it. Have you considered making a video and putting it on youtube?
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

I haven't thought about making a video, but possibly could in the future.. I find that that videos are great for concepts and general walk throughs, but that for step by step procedures, the play/pause/lack of checklist slows me down.. Anyway, I will keep it in mind. Glad that the PDF is able to help in the interim.
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

Lots of great information and sight options to consider.
The http://www.biggerhammer.net/centra_spy/ ... ervice.pdf was excellent and shows the Spy's precision crafstmanship.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

aalbert wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:50 am I haven't thought about making a video, but possibly could in the future.. I find that that videos are great for concepts and general walk throughs, but that for step by step procedures, the play/pause/lack of checklist slows me down.. Anyway, I will keep it in mind. Glad that the PDF is able to help in the interim.
You seem very knowledgable about this sport, do you have any other documents that you could share. I personally like ready anything about this sport.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

GolfShot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:42 am You seem very knowledgable about this sport, do you have any other documents that you could share. I personally like ready anything about this sport.
No I just hang around a lot of people who are knowledgeable as byproduct of supporting my son, and folks on the team he shoots with. I also help make bits and pieces to assist in their position, etc - https://www.instagram.com/riflebits/ , so that takes me down some rabbit holes.
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

aalbert wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:10 am
GolfShot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:42 am You seem very knowledgable about this sport, do you have any other documents that you could share. I personally like ready anything about this sport.
No I just hang around a lot of people who are knowledgeable as byproduct of supporting my son, and folks on the team he shoots with. I also help make bits and pieces to assist in their position, etc - https://www.instagram.com/riflebits/ , so that takes me down some rabbit holes.
That instagram sight has nice projects in it; I have a mill and lathe in my garage hobby shop and see some projects ahead.
Thanks for all your sharing of info!