uncalled rules violations??

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PaulB

uncalled rules violations??

Post by PaulB »

This has been discussed on TT a number of times. Still don't understand why the officials don't do anything.

Just finished watching the men's 50m finals at the World Cup in Korea. Pecker (HUN) in standing had his pistol grip and forearm resting on his chest and his rear sight was touching his face and hat. This pretty clearly shows on the video. My understanding of the rules is these points of contact are not allowed.
rgibson

Re: uncalled rules violations??

Post by rgibson »

I tend to think that it is “no protest = no violation.”
Xman

Post by Xman »

rgibson wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:39 pm I tend to think that it is “no protest = no violation.”
Squeaky wheel get the grease. Other team managers need to watch the feed live or scope out the other teams shooters.

THEY are not doing their jobs. Just sitting back and only being concerned with their own shooters is not what they are there for.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

Every recent world cup is full of violations but nobody seems to care.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

Looks to be touching to me
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 6.53.21 pm.jpg
Xman

Post by Xman »

Pekler looks like he is resting. NOT in the process of shooting in the screen grab. The Indian shooters nose bridge looks like it is touching the rifle.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Gold medalist in 25m men's rapid pistol was wearing a cap with a Beretta logo on the front in the finals at the World Cup. This is clearly a violation. No interpretation needed.

Rule 4.5.1 Additional restrictions for ISSF Championships
No manufacturer or sponsor identification is permitted on the blinder on the
rear sight or on the front or attached to the hat, cap, shooting glasses or to the
headband.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

Would that make the two above in the photo also in violation as their visor has branding on it?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Would that make the two above in the photo also in violation as their visor has branding on it?

That is my understanding of the rules. When I was an equipment control officer at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 anyone with anything other than a national emblem (e.g. flag) or the emblem of their NGB on their hat had to cover it with tape. We went through a lot of duct tape.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Looking at the photo I think it might be an optical illusion. If the bridge of the nose was touching the center of the bottom of the iris would the eye line up with aperture? Try it. I am to lazy to go to the safe right now.
pthatcher

Post by pthatcher »

I was involved in SB 3P and prone for many years and enjoy watching ISSF matches on YouTube. I must say however, over the past year or so I have become a bit disillusioned; many of these athletes are clearly cheating. Headwear touching rear sight, palm rest touching arm or chest, wearable electronic devises, etc. However, I do agree that if no other shooter or team official is going to protest, oh well. When I watch the video of the matches I always wonder what the heck the referee is doing. If I, and other posters to this site, can see these violations, can't he?
mikeb1

Post by mikeb1 »

I think a lot of it comes back to the 'televisability' of the sport. A significant portion of 3P's/10m popularity and prestige is associated with their status as Olympic sports. If enforcing rules against infractions that don't really give the athlete an advantage damage that 'televisability', they will probably be let slide to help retain their status as Olympic sports.

Not saying that I agree with it (you either have to enforce or get rid of the rule, otherwise the sport descends into a rabble), but I can see why it happens