Just got my IZH 35 back from EAA

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Steve

Just got my IZH 35 back from EAA

Post by Steve »

Hi Everyone,
I just got my IZH 35 back from EAA for repair of it's doubling and slam firing problem. They appeared to counter bore the barrel slightly to increase headspace. They returned the gun 8 days from when I sent it back, pretty good service.
We shot 60 or so rounds last night with out any problems. I haven't tried any 711 yet, but we had no problems with CCI.
Steve.
tenex-at-sbcglobal.net.43861.0
Jerry

Re: Just got my IZH 35 back from EAA

Post by Jerry »

Id be interested to see how the gun performs now that u have it back. Ive been contemplating the prchase of one of these for some time now, and have followed is ups and downs on several forums. It seems every time I make up my mind to go ahead and take the plunge, I see another post with doubling and full auto problems. I had thought about building up a ruger, but hate to have to improve on a new gun, immediately after purchase. From all acccounts the IZZY has potential, right out of the box. Keep us posted as to how things work out. It would be great if we could find out exactly what EAA does to the guns that have this problem, looking at the gun, can u see any visible difference?
: Hi Everyone,
: I just got my IZH 35 back from EAA for repair of it's doubling and slam firing problem. They appeared to counter bore the barrel slightly to increase headspace. They returned the gun 8 days from when I sent it back, pretty good service.
: We shot 60 or so rounds last night with out any problems. I haven't tried any 711 yet, but we had no problems with CCI.
: Steve.

nthe10ring-at-aol.com.43873.43861
Mike Fleischer

Post by Mike Fleischer »

: Id be interested to see how the gun performs now that u have it back. Ive been contemplating the prchase of one of these for some time now, and have followed is ups and downs on several forums. It seems every time I make up my mind to go ahead and take the plunge, I see another post with doubling and full auto problems. I had thought about building up a ruger, but hate to have to improve on a new gun, immediately after purchase. From all acccounts the IZZY has potential, right out of the box. Keep us posted as to how things work out. It would be great if we could find out exactly what EAA does to the guns that have this problem, looking at the gun, can u see any visible difference?
: : Hi Everyone,
: : I just got my IZH 35 back from EAA for repair of it's doubling and slam firing problem. They appeared to counter bore the barrel slightly to increase headspace. They returned the gun 8 days from when I sent it back, pretty good service.
: : We shot 60 or so rounds last night with out any problems. I haven't tried any 711 yet, but we had no problems with CCI.
: : Steve.

Mike Fleischer

Post by Mike Fleischer »

: Id be interested to see how the gun performs now that u have it back. Ive been contemplating the prchase of one of these for some time now, and have followed is ups and downs on several forums. It seems every time I make up my mind to go ahead and take the plunge, I see another post with doubling and full auto problems. I had thought about building up a ruger, but hate to have to improve on a new gun, immediately after purchase. From all acccounts the IZZY has potential, right out of the box. Keep us posted as to how things work out. It would be great if we could find out exactly what EAA does to the guns that have this problem, looking at the gun, can u see any visible difference?
: : I just got my IZH 35 back from EAA for repair of it's doubling and slam firing problem. They appeared to counter bore the barrel slightly to increase headspace. They returned the gun 8 days from when I sent it back, pretty good service.
: : We shot 60 or so rounds last night with out any problems. I haven't tried any 711 yet, but we had no problems with CCI.
I had the same problem with mine and sent it back for repairs. When I got it back it shot every std vel round I tried. It shoots better than my S&W model 41 and my Ruger , both have modification to shoot 1 inch at 50 yrds. This shoots just as good or better than my other guns. I have a 10% increase in my scores, this is now the gun I compete with. I have shot over 5000 rounds and no failures. I wish I had bough this gun be for my S&W or Ruger, I would have saved a lot of money. When I sell my S&W 41 I will get another IZH35M for a backup 22. I been shooting bullseye for over 5 years and handguns in general for over 35 years.
maf166-at-msn.com.43875.43873
Jim P.

It is good to know that this "fix" seems to last.

Post by Jim P. »

The problem seems to be that the contact area between the "bolt" and the frame is so small and gets compressed with use.
Then the pistol doubles by compressing the rim of thick rimmed cartridges (the "doubled" cartridge will show only a small firing pin "nick" which is present on any cartridge that has been auto loaded*.)
So EAA appears to mill off a small portion of the barrel to regain the clearance. If they don't heat treat the frame (which I doubt) it would appear that with time that area would compress again.
I think that the IZH-35M is a great gun. I got 5k round out of my first one and when it started to double bought a second one which now has 7k without doubling. I experiment with the first.
Jim P.
* The firing pin modification doesn't effect the real problem, however it does move this "nick" from the center of the cartidge to the edge...this would seem in general like a bad idea. But I have no evidence that it matters one way or the other (I have two firing pins (came with the gun) one modified one not.)
Mike Fleischer

Re: It is good to know that this "fix" seems to last.

Post by Mike Fleischer »

: The problem seems to be that the contact area between the "bolt" and the frame is so small and gets compressed with use.
: Then the pistol doubles by compressing the rim of thick rimmed cartridges (the "doubled" cartridge will show only a small firing pin "nick" which is present on any cartridge that has been auto loaded*.)
: So EAA appears to mill off a small portion of the barrel to regain the clearance. If they don't heat treat the frame (which I doubt) it would appear that with time that area would compress again.
: I think that the IZH-35M is a great gun. I got 5k round out of my first one and when it started to double bought a second one which now has 7k without doubling. I experiment with the first.
: Jim P.
The problem with the 10 guns that I know of and what a gun smith told me is that they only ream the barrel chamber .002 of in inch deeper , because the Russian ammo. has a thinner rim thickness and the case with the crimp shorter. All that I saw the breach face was cleaned and the chamber releaved. I talked to a competive shooter that shot over 50,000 rounds through his after the work was done. The other week I was shooting a 22 match and there were 5 different shooter that had alibis all were shooting different guns that were 3 to 4 times the price I paid for my IZH35M. They ask me when I had my last alibis , I didn't have any in competition with this gun. I use CCI std vel rounds sorted by rim thickness. My scores and groupings are the same as with pistol match ammo.
: * The firing pin modification doesn't effect the real problem, however it does move this "nick" from the center of the cartidge to the edge...this would seem in general like a bad idea. But I have no evidence that it matters one way or the other (I have two firing pins (came with the gun) one modified one not.)

maf166-at-msn.com.43911.43883
Steve

Post by Steve »

You can see the slight recess milled in the face of the barrel. I wouldn't call the problem a design flaw, the gun just seem's designed for thinner rimmed ammo. I can't see why the mod wouldn't last for a very long time.
In my opinion, even with the additional $60 to repair the gun it's still a better deal than just about anything else out there. Out of all my .22's,
my wife likes shooting the Baikal much better than anything else.
Steve.

tenex-at-sbcglobal.net.43989.43873