Hook Butt Plate Recommendations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Hook Butt Plate Recommendations

Post by kbean »

Looking for recommendations for use on 3P Anschutz. Thanks!
Th.

Re: Hook Butt Plate Recommendations

Post by Th. »

https://www.shootingequipment.de/en/Wea ... tt-plates/

Depends on how much money you want to spend. But the gehmann does a great job
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

kbean wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:39 pm Looking for recommendations for use on 3P Anschutz. Thanks!
Will you be using one plate for all three positions? If so, I'd think you have to balance adjustment with speed, especially if you expect to be in finals. I really like the System Gemini for prone, but it's fiddly to adjust; I know of shooters who have re-adjusted one plate between positions, but they bought extra plates as soon as they could.

Also what rifle is it going into? The question makes me think the rifle doesn't have a hook already. Is this a Standard Rifle (14/18/1907)? If so, do remember to think of the extra length; many hook buttplates will add 2-3in onto the end of the stock. Free and Sport rifles, eg 18/1913s or a 1912/1914 (Supermatch and Lady Supermatch) are built shorter to accommodate this. An extra 2in or 3in is quite a lot for some shooters, and may well compromise their position
Last edited by Tim S on Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbean

Post by kbean »

The plan right now is to use it for standing and kneeling. We have one that we already use for prone without a hook.
Maybe we should use it for all three?
I think length is ok, we’re using a 1903 Jr, it seems a little shorter than typical.
Thank you
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

OK, a 1903 Jr is smaller, as the name suggests it is sized for Juniors, where the regular 1903 is a junior/adult size. Still, unless you currently have the butt extended 2in+ be careful adding something like an Anschutz 4765, MEC Free Position etc.

There's no rule that you must use a hook. The hook mostly helps to locate the plate in the shooter's shoulder. This is why the hook is adjustable for angle; so the plate seats far enough in, and doesn't catch on the shooter's arm.

You might look at something like this:http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... em=CC130BP It's designed to replace the basic Anschutz rubber buttplate (just undo the screw), without adding too much length.