Sight change between positions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Sight change between positions

Post by kbean »

I’m thinking of adding a risers to keep the head up in standing and kneeling.
Do you find that this causes the sights to need to be changed out between prone and standing/kneeling?
Am I missing the purpose on risers?
Thank you!
Tim S

Re: Sight change between positions

Post by Tim S »

Yes, you may need to re-zero the rearsight after adding/removing raiser blocks. If both blocks are the same height, the correction may not be that much, although there can be a horizontal element not just vertical. However, if the blocks fit well the difference should be predictable, and with practise you can pre-adjust, just like going between 50 and 100.
kbean

Post by kbean »

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Would I use riser blocks in the prone position, and would they be the same height that would be used for standing?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

kbean wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:29 am Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Would I use riser blocks in the prone position, and would they be the same height that would be used for standing?
That's a very hard question to answer over the Internet.

Some prone shooters use raiser blocks to lift up their head for comfort. Typically you'd want to do this if you have a fairly low position, or have a very slim alu stock. If you have say an Anschutz 1907, and shoot from a high position you may not need raisers at all.

Generally you might see higher blocks in standing, but it depends; do you hold the rifle high or low? There are always exceptions.
kbean

Post by kbean »

Thanks for the response. Even though it's hard to answer without seeing the shooter, your reply helps by giving me something to think about when we try out the riser blocks.