Anschutz vs KK500

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Anschutz vs KK500

Post by kbean »

What are your opinions on the Anschutz rifles (1907, 1913, 54.30) vs the KK500?
It might be a broad question, but I don’t know enough to be more specific. I’m not sure of the differences in the Anschutz models.

Another, maybe better question is what are the comparative advantages/disadvantages of the KK500 stock vs the precise aluminum stock?

Thank you for your help, we are still learning and looking to improve our skill, maybe upgrade rifles.
Tim S

Re: Anschutz vs KK500

Post by Tim S »

I'm not sure 54-based rifles have any technical advantages over a KK500. The KK500 takes less movement to load, and has an even better trigger by all accounts. Walther make pretty good barrels too. The 1913 and 1907 are cheaper to buy, and I suspect if you broke a firing pin at a Match, or needed emergency trigger adjustments, you'd find more help with an Anschutz. But that's all I can think of. That's not to say that an Anschutz is a bad choice, but if you can afford it, the KK500 is probably a better choice.

The 1913 and 1907 share the same action and trigger. The 1913 has a 690x24mm (27.2×15/16in) barrel and the 1907 has a 660x22mm (26×7/8in) barrel. The 54.30 is mechanically similar, but the bolt is 30mm shorter (hence 54.30) and the barrel is seated 30mm deeper in the receiver.
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

There is no comparison. The KK500 is the winner in all areas when you compare all that is included when you purchase.

Ed
Simkovitch

Post by Simkovitch »

I like Anschutz ergonomics better, but maybe that's just me.
The KK500 stock has sharp edges, the butt feels flimsy to me, and the hand-stop rail has a curve in the back that I don't like.

On the other hand, the grip on KK500 is very comfortable, like most Walthers, loading is easier on the Walther and the trigger may be a bit better,
The KK500 also has a pretty unique feature in form of a bolt you can switch around so it becomes a left-handed bolt.
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

Love my KK500, I have personally seen 3 KK500 firing pins break (mine twice). Never broken one in an Anschutz. Its worth it in my opinion though, I just carry a spare with me. The electronic trigger kk's are much better than the mechanical trigger kk's. And be careful with the action screws.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

ChickenChowda wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:11 pm Love my KK500, I have personally seen 3 KK500 firing pins break (mine twice). Never broken one in an Anschutz. Its worth it in my opinion though, I just carry a spare with me. The electronic trigger kk's are much better than the mechanical trigger kk's. And be careful with the action screws.
Why do you need to be careful with the action screws?
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

Walther dosen't do a very good job of selecting the right hardware in my opinion. All of the action screws are far too small making them very easy to overtorque and strip, or even break. There are 5 to distribute the load but still. I've drilled out a few in other peoples guns before. Just be careful, I have a wood stock anatomic model, so I only torque mine to about 2.5-3 NM. For the most part, as long as you're careful and making sure the 3mm hex key is fully seated, you shouldn't have a problem.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

ChickenChowda wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:54 pm Walther dosen't do a very good job of selecting the right hardware in my opinion. All of the action screws are far too small making them very easy to overtorque and strip, or even break. There are 5 to distribute the load but still. I've drilled out a few in other peoples guns before. Just be careful, I have a wood stock anatomic model, so I only torque mine to about 2.5-3 NM. For the most part, as long as you're careful and making sure the 3mm hex key is fully seated, you shouldn't have a problem.
Why not just change them to 12.9spec bolts?
ltebiker

Post by ltebiker »

Kbean.
I can shed some light on the KK vs Anschutz comparisons.
I have shot thousands of rounds with both. PM me your contact number If you would like to discuss.

Lucas Erwin
US National Rifle Team
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

GolfShot wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:09 am Why not just change them to 12.9spec bolts?
I think the issue is the the heads are a wee bit small for repeated torquing, and as with any fastener could use a little oil / anti-seize.

IMG_0594.JPG
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

GolfShot wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:09 am
ChickenChowda wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:54 pm Walther dosen't do a very good job of selecting the right hardware in my opinion. All of the action screws are far too small making them very easy to overtorque and strip, or even break. There are 5 to distribute the load but still. I've drilled out a few in other peoples guns before. Just be careful, I have a wood stock anatomic model, so I only torque mine to about 2.5-3 NM. For the most part, as long as you're careful and making sure the 3mm hex key is fully seated, you shouldn't have a problem.
Totally, but you really shouldn't have to go replace all of the hardware on a 6500 dollar gun. This goes for Walthers use of fasteners as a whole, not just action screws. A lot of them are too short, and into soft materials. It was alot worse on the earlier guns (like mine) but since they have remedied alot of the issues by putting longer hardware or milling pockets to capture a nut rather than tapping into aluminum. For me I had to chuck my butt stock block into the milling machine and make those pockets myself after pulling the threads out because they had screws that were 2mm too short, straight into aluminum.
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

ChickenChowda wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:57 pm
GolfShot wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:09 am
Totally, but you really shouldn't have to go replace all of the hardware on a 6500 dollar gun. This goes for Walthers use of fasteners as a whole, not just action screws. A lot of them are too short, and into soft materials. It was alot worse on the earlier guns (like mine) but since they have remedied alot of the issues by putting longer hardware or milling pockets to capture a nut rather than tapping into aluminum. For me I had to chuck my butt stock block into the milling machine and make those pockets myself after pulling the threads out because they had screws that were 2mm too short, straight into aluminum.
Bad fasteners is not just on Walthers. My son's Anschutz has multiple Heli Coils installed where the treads have stripped out. I don't know how these companies expect steel screws into tapped aluminum to last. Especially on screws that have to be repeatedly loosened and tightened to make adjustments based on shooting position.