Simulating nerves in training

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ELPRESADOR

Simulating nerves in training

Post by ELPRESADOR »

Hi All,

I'm hoping I can get some help to improve my competition scores. I've had some trouble recently shooting in a local club league with nerves. Pre-competition I get a mixture of nervousness and excitement and this has only come back to me recently. Pre-Covid I was fairly relaxed but as I'm getting back into shooting after 2-3 years away it's back.

During the last two shoots I've thrown away 2 wins with mistakes late on during the shoot. I know I'm on for a good score, yesterday I made 5 errors in all. 2 were me being caught out by the targets, the other 3 were me being a dunce. 2 of those were in my last 5 shots and of course I finished 1 behind the winner...

I'm looking for methods to either:
1. Relax while in competition
2. Simulating this nervousness during training

I think option 2 would be easier... Would downing a few cans of red bull be a good idea during practice? I think the increased heart rate would give a similar feeling to what I experience during competition.

During practice sessions I'm a good shot, when it doesn't matter I can nail everything and I don't really make any mistakes. In competition it kind of falls apart, my heart rate seems to be much higher. The pressure to get things right gets to me too, I think it might get worse after throwing away 2 wins in the last 3 shoots.

Or do I just need to man the fuck up and get on with it :D

Any thoughts would be appreciated
william

Re: Simulating nerves in training

Post by william »

If you can't master option 1, releasing a small rattlesnake on the floor of your training area ought to get your nerves right up there.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

What is your focus on?

In practice are you focusing on the fundamentals, process and technique? What about in competition?

I believe that you are results oriented when in competition and it is hindering you. You say "when it doesn't matter" in practice, why doesn't it matter? Is it the score in practice that doesn't matter? Does the score matter in the competition? If the score matters in the competition then it is the result that you are focused on. It is taking away from the fundamentals, process and technique that require the focus to produce the score that you are looking for. Quite the conundrum.

We have all been there and most of us are still there. Hope that helps.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I'm looking for methods to either:
1. Relax while in competition
2. Simulating this nervousness during training"

Have an ex-wife sit behind you during practice. She should have a bull prod and randomly tickle your "taint". Concentrate hard!
David M

Post by David M »

Th.

Post by Th. »

atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

I've previously recommended wearing a SHOCK COLLAR.

Adjustable for different voltage and current settings, depending on how bad you shoot.

In your case, best for Option#2. (Nothing in the ISSF rule-book about wearing a Shock Collar in-competition, however).
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Nervousness is not always bad during competition. If you channel it effectively it can be beneficial. “Positive self-talk” comes immediately to mind to help with this. I listened to Troy Lawton speak of it to us at a clinic held by the Palmetto State Marksmen Association. In a nutshell, put a positive spin on everything while you are shooting, including shots that you would normally find disturbing.
Also, check out books by Launi Meili, Nancy Tompkins, and Bill Pullum (latest version 1997) on this subject.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Good comments by rgibson. Makes notes in your diary of your thought process. Determine what consistently works best. Some mentally shoot each shot prior to the actual, but I prefer POSITIVE self talk and constant focus on conditions. You did not state if you were indoor or outdoor. If outdoor, a good portion of focus must be on the conditions. Perhaps you misread the conditions or there was a pickup/let off or a gust. Everyone feels pressure. Lastly, try to chill a bit. Good Luck.
NukeMMC

Post by NukeMMC »

Instead of trying to simulate nerves in training, try working on simulating calm in competition. You CHOOSE to participate in this game. You are the only one CHOOSING to be nervous about the outcome of your participation. Therefore, you should focus on what is good about it and brings enjoyment, rather than what is wrong. Same with your shots. Focus on what went right to make the 10 or X, not what you did wrong to make the 7 or 8.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Yur'Yev believed simulating nerves in training achieves little, they key is relaxation and control.

What you can do is condition yourself to calm down - do some mild exercise, sit and relax for ~10 minutes and let your heart rate drop, then do shooting training.
Repeat each visit to the range, after each break etc.

Also determination and even anger can stabilise nerves.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I shoot at a commercial indoor range, and quite frankly, the black rifle spec ops wannabes go a long way to making my nerves a bit jumpy...... It might not be what yiu are looking for, but it works for me.....

Heres a clown "teaching" his friend how ro shoot.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJCGFQSn9yp9zDHH8
spektr

Post by spektr »

I shoot at a commercial indoor range, and quite frankly, the black rifle spec ops wannabes go a long way to making me learn how to settle my nerves. TacticalSpecOp wannabes make me a bit jumpy...... It might not be what you are looking for, but it works for me, AAhhhhhhh, breathe in, breathe out............

Here's a clown "teaching" his friend how to shoot.... yeah, I can do nervous with clowns like this pushing the button. Note that I'm outside the shooting area waiting for him to run out of ammo, or water, or MREs, whichever comes first....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJCGFQSn9yp9zDHH8
[/quote]
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Visualization includes emotions. Visualize yourself at the range shooting the match well and the good shots build confidence in your process and training. Each 10 you shoot increases your confidence in the next shot.

I've used self talk "Good shots breed more good shots" sometimes. It's easier to ignore the score when shooting 70%. It's pretty much impossible when shooting 98-99%.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

During a specific training day take only 10 rounds to the range.

To start, you can take as long as you want, dry fire as much as you like, but you only get 10 rounds and have to keep score.

Do this once a week in lieu of other training.

Then gradually reduce time until you only have 1 minute per shot. (You don't get to do any other live shooting that training day; substitute exercise, dryfiring, whatever.)

Track your progress.

CR
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The key is to stay relaxed and focused in competition. And believe me, I am the LAST person who will criticize anyone for match nerves - it took me a good decade shooting at the World Muzzle-Loading Championships before I started to even crack the problem.

It helps, a lot, to stay focused on the shot, not the score. Try to shoot one perfect shot. Or at least an acceptably good shot. Then do it again.

If you are shooting slow-fire, do not hesitate to put the gun down, step back, and sit down. I've done that because my legs were shaking so badly it was a choice between sitting or falling...at a match I won. Rapid fire may well be easier, you're busy shooting.

I HIGHLY recommend Bassham's "With Winning In Mind". There is a lot of good information in that book. Put it to work for you.
JeroenH

Post by JeroenH »

Most answers seem to focus on (1) relax while in competition. I agree in the sense that this should be the end goal, but to get there, I think there is value in (2) Simulating "the nerves" in training.

One way of adding pressure to your training is this one: https://www.sport-shooters-ots.com/vari ... arget.html.
Am exercise like this draws you towards the result-oriented. So it's up to you to deal with that and remain process and technique oriented.

Another method to add pressure is to train with another competitor and do small one-on-one matches. You each do one shot: the highest score gets one point. Repeat until one of you reaches 10 points. (if one of you is a much better shot, work out a way to make it 'a fair' match).
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

If you want to put pressure on yourself you could limit yourself to only half the time allowed. Perhaps more stressful you could post pics/results here for all to see of a practice session.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Mike M. wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:02 pm I HIGHLY recommend Bassham's "With Winning in Mind". There is a lot of good information in that book. Put it to work for you.
Best line out of Bassham's book:

"Say to yourself 'I do this all the time.'"

Standing on the match line, pressure-on, it's just another 10 meter shot."
spektr

Post by spektr »

I practice all my 10 meter shooting in a commercial range. Shooting good scores when Tommy Tactical is blasting away with his AR15 indoors prepares you well as far as maintaining focus goes...... Try it.