A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Grantmac

Post by Grantmac »

Hi all,

I'm here for air rifle specific information. I'm a smallbore silhouette shooter getting started in air silhouette.
Picked up a FT modified Anschutz 8001 that was up for sale on here and it's working really well, might actually shoot FT with it one day.
Trying to adapt 10m body position to silhouette which doesn't allow a jacket or sling is providing a challenge.

-Grant
acorneau

Re: New member

Post by acorneau »

There's a couple of us silhouette shooters that check in over here too.

;-)
------
Allen Corneau
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

You are talking about two different things. Silhouette is shot standing without jackets and slings but field target is shot using jackets and slings are also permitted. Silhouette rules are on the NRA website and FT rules are at AAFTA.org.
Good luck with air rifles. Lots of fun.
Rick Bassett
Grantmac

Post by Grantmac »

Yes I'm familiar with the different rules, although likely I'd be shooting HFT which isn't shot sitting.

Still figuring out body position stuff. Getting the butt into my shoulder rather than on the head of the biceps is challenging.
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

What you'll notice is there is a lot more adjustability in a 10-meter styled rifle than what we are allowed in smallbore. My Target and Open air rifles have buttplates that are dropped much farther down than I can get with my Hunter-legal smallbore rifle.

The additional depth of the fore-end and no limits on the scope hight mean you can have a better upright head position and more stable support hand position as well. The big thing is to not feel like you're locked into the positioning of the rifle as it came to you. Turn those screws and adjust it to your liking.
------
Allen Corneau
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Grantmac wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:03 pm Yes I'm familiar with the different rules, although likely I'd be shooting HFT which isn't shot sitting.

Still figuring out body position stuff. Getting the butt into my shoulder rather than on the head of the biceps is challenging.
Isn't Hunter Field Target shot while sitting on a bucket and resting the rifle on crossed sticks?
Grantmac

Post by Grantmac »

Right you are Allen, I've got the adjustments almost maxed out with the scope 2.5" over bore. Not currently using anything attached on the fore stock. Tried it but my elbow was actually too low it seemed. Plus I am not exactly certain what's legal for Open air rifle silhouette.

HFT is generally shot in a semi-supported prone position. It seems to vary by country. It's new to me however, I come from a silhouette background and we don't yet have any FT locally.
ddk576

Post by ddk576 »

Good to have you on board