Anschutz Junior 1903 - Which Sights?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Youngbill

Anschutz Junior 1903 - Which Sights?

Post by Youngbill »

Hello all,

I’m purchasing an Anschutz 1903 Junior rifle for my daughter and I see there are a few different sights option. Is it preferable to stick with Anschutz sights or should I be looking at other brands, if so, which ones. If I stick with Anschutz, which model should I consider? Does it make sense to consider she will me getting a full sized rifle (may not be an Anschutz) at some point and maybe I could move the sights to that rifle. Would love to get some opinions and/or feedback on my options.

Thank you,
Bill
erikre

Re: Anschutz Junior 1903 - Which Sights?

Post by erikre »

I would stick to the standard Anschutz sights. Here's why. Your daughter is young with I'm assuming good eyesight. Higher end sights at this point will not make a noticeable difference. Also, you are buying an entry level junior rifle. At some point she is going to out grow it and you will need to upgrade if she continues. At that point it may make more sense to upgrade the sights. Finally, you will have an entry level rifle ready to sell to the next person. Just my opinion, others may disagree.
Tim S

Re: Anschutz Junior 1903 - Which Sights?

Post by Tim S »

The basic Anschutz sight set (6834 - the 6805 rearsight and a Centra Score tunnel) is a perfectly good choice. I wouldn't overlook the Gehmann 590 Compact though; it's cheaper than the 6805. It's a little bulkier, but gets good feedback. Any source for the Gehmann contact will have an Anschutz-fit Gehmann or Centra foresight.

In terms of extras a simple iris eyepiece is a good one. Whichever rearsight you buy, it will come with a screw-in eyepiece drilled with a single hole (usually 1.1mm). An iris eyepiece lets you vary the aperture to suit your eye, and vary that on darker and brighter ranges. Pick a Gehmann or Centra, both work, and have a standard thread compatible with any common rearsight.

A few extra foresight inserts won't hurt either.