Anschutz 9015 ONE Precise Cheek piece Adapter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ChickenChowda

Anschutz 9015 ONE Precise Cheek piece Adapter

Post by ChickenChowda »

Hi all,
Just trying to gauge some interest. Recently I designed an adapter allowing Anschutz 9015 ONE shooters to switch to the use of the Anschutz precise cheek piece. I did this for a friend and she loves the adapter saying it greatly improved the feel of the gun and solved the main gripe she had with the stock. I'm considering manufacturing and selling these. The unit is made entirely of steel (Robust TIG welded construction), and requires no modification to the existing stock for its use. They'll be made to order, so I can also take requests for custom offsets, weights, or different construction elements. They will be finished in graphite black Cerakote. I haven't decided on a price yet, but I'm currently thinking around the $150 range.

Thanks for any input.
GolfShot

Re: Anschutz 9015 ONE Precise Cheek piece Adapter

Post by GolfShot »

Would be great if you posted some photos of it.
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

It is just a gauge interest post, but in initially didn't post any with it as I was kind of under a time crunch to get it out the door so a teammate could use it in her match, so taking pictures wasn't really on my mind. The current prototype out in the world is fully functional, but relatively crude in form finished product would be close to the same but with prettier welds and better surface finish. I'll grab some pictures to post on Monday.
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

Here's a couple photos of the prototype adapter installed. Unfinished but fully functional. I plan on finishing it in a week or two after the NCAA season ends. I do also have a few updates to the design in mind. I'm going to update the front guide surface the cheekpiece rides on. currently the adapter uses a stud and guide pin to keep the cheekpiece aligned vertically, but I would like to change this to a milled keyway. this will improve the stability of the cheekpiece. The second update is the addition of a captured ball detent, which will add the tactility back to the height adjustment that is present on the normal precise stocks.
Attachments
Adapter - Copy.jpg
Adapter front - Copy.jpg
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

Sorry to be a negative nelly but I don't see there being much demand for such a product.

A super niche product in a niche sport.
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

I completely agree, especially with the relative rarity of ONE stocks, but it would be a waste to not put it out there. At the very least spur some discussion on custom rifle modifications.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

Innovation doesn't come, unless you experiment...
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

aalbert wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:22 pm Innovation doesn't come, unless you experiment...
Correct, but in this case there may only be a target audience of 100 people worldwide.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

I have not heard anyone that I encounter saying anything good about the One stock. Does anyone here know anything good about it? How many have been sold (est)? What complaints are the most frequent?
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

I'm an FWB shooter, so I really haven't put any serious time in with a ONE stock. A draw back on the stock is it really doesn't have any real rail space. Doesn't really matter for 60 shot standing, but for anything else, it wont work. It also means we have to make some special accommodations to ammo test them because our testing system makes use of the rail. Overall I think there is way better out there, for way less money. One thing I do like is the buttplate, it feels fantastic. Its really thin which I like.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

James Storm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm I have not heard anyone that I encounter saying anything good about the One stock. Does anyone here know anything good about it? How many have been sold (est)? What complaints are the most frequent?
Just look at the lack of them in any ISSF Final on Youtube. Should tell you all you need to know.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

I appreciate the 2 specific answers to my questions: Negative: lack of rail space Positive: the thin buttplate. Are there others? I wondered if the very unfamiliar appearance and layout confused or scared people off, or if it was found to be unnecessarily complex and thus difficult or too time consuming to use in competition.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

Good : Highly adjustable - for my son it was able to be contoured to his build more than other rifles...

Neutral : a) the cheekpiece is fine once you get it to where it needs to be...and it has micro adjustment should you need to deal with it at match. b) the One wasn't really ever marketed for position shooting, just 60 standing. I am sure you could contact Austin @ Anschutz for some guidance when it comes to how they fixture the Ones they get in for testing.

Negative : a) Use of stainless screws in the stock -- they are prone to stick/break, and also since they are torx it requires an secondary set of tools to deal with. for tight travel weights and equipment space b) the use of set screws for many of the adjustments leads to lost screws / additional setup time. c) the combination of movements / geometry is a little more complicated than one would hope or that is intuitive, but it gives a lot of refinement potential.
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

That torx change has been occasionally really annoying for my teammate, especially since it means she cant use the same wrenches for small bore and air gun. She also has ESP risers meaning she has to have a 7/64ths wrench in the box as well.

I agree that there is a lot of potential with the stock, its pretty adjustable, somewhat counter intuitively, but its all there. The whole ring design for that buttplate is pretty impressive. It's very very easy to make illegal though, we fixed that by 3dprinting a spacer in order to take up some of that missed space between the top and bottom halves of the butt plate, bringing the dimensions into regulation. I'm pretty sure the newer ones come with a filler out of the box though.

A good example of some more complex adjustment methods would be the cheekpiece that attaches with a pillar that is clamped into the stock. Most would just loosen the clamp and raise and lower the cheekpiece by moving the whole pillar, but actually, that pillar has a dial on the bottom and a set screw. Loosen the set screw and rotate the dial to raise and lower the cheekpiece. It's cool because they could have just built that whole assembly into the gun, but since they did it this way, the designers added a really easy method to adjust cheekpiece rotation by simply turning the pillar and re-clamping. Also height adjustment and rotation can be adjusted independent of each other for better repeatability.

Anyway my teammate actually has both stocks, the bronze colored stock and the ONE, and comparing them side by side the one stock was better, Minus the cheekpiece in her eyes obviously. As for the testing, we've tested the actions in other stocks that have rails, but more than likely I'll just end up using a bench vice to do it in the future.

I'm still of the opinion that there are better options out there such as the 800x, especially at the price point. But Anschutz really has done alot of good work catching up to the competition. Not to mention making it look great in the process. If they had a more similar action design to the Walter or FWB, I think it would make them a serious contender for the collegiate game.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

ChickenChowda wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:15 pm That torx change has been occasionally really annoying for my teammate, especially since it means she cant use the same wrenches for small bore and air gun. She also has ESP risers meaning she has to have a 7/64ths wrench in the box as well.
You could just change the torx to hex cap screws for a couple of dollars.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

Again, I appreciate the specific answers to my questions. I bought a used One and found that some of the multiple screws in the stock were frozen in and one associated with a cylindrical weight had twisted and broken off below the surface of the receiving part. I sent the parts to Anschutz North America and Austin removed them all very neatly. I cannot say enough good things about Austin's skills with metal and machines. He recommended using anti seize compound on all screws, and I now do so religiously.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

Stainless when used with any other metal should always have anti-seize, as galvanic corrosion can make them stick... and in general most screws can benefit from anti-seize or a little bit of light oil.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

Stainless on stainless will gall and fuse 2 parts together as if welded. Over 50 years ago I was a junior chemist working under an older and very smart PhD chemist. One fine day we performed an experiment in a fancy custom machined apparatus which was all Stainless. My boss wanted to assemble the apparatus using a large wrench and no anti galling compound. I warned him about galling but he went ahead and snugged things together bare anyway. After the experiment, the apparatus could not be opened. It had become one mass. No amount of force, heat, machine shop magic or strong language could separate the 2 parts. The apparatus went to the scrap bin. I got an attaboy but no raise in pay. Be advised.
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

You could just change the torx to hex cap screws for a couple of dollars.
[/quote]

Yeah I really don't know why I haven't offered yet, I always keep that stuff on hand anyway since it seems like few understand the concepts of mechanical sympathy. Guns being shipped with "all in one" tools doesn't help that fact either. The guns out there that suffer from bolt failures the worst are the KK500's.

I've always just switched to black oxide hardware when I need to replace stuff on rifles, but so far, i've really never seen any galling on guns thankfully. I always see it on stainless exhaust hardware. stainless on stainless, and it gets hot enough to burn any anti-seize off the first time you run it.