IZH 35 Problems

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Luis Alberto

IZH 35 Problems

Post by Luis Alberto »

From the postings below I understand the IZH 35's could be a bit problematic. The 'doubling' thingy in question, I find very worrying. I live in Spain, and I'm thinking about buying one (here they are called IJ 35). The reason for my choice is purely cost (I'm not interested in high level competition + my wife keeps a keen eye on my 'shooting spending'). My target is c. 400 €. There is a very limited second hand market here, mostly expensive models in goodish condition going for about 600 €. So I thought that, in my price range, and buying new to enjoy a manufacturer's guarantee, the IJ 35 was unbeatable value. I would like to hear more about your (experienced) thoughts on this, specifically on the guns possible problems, and whether is worth going for it.
Thank you very much for your valuable input.
lregalado-at-mixmail.com.43638.0
Jay V

Re: IZH 35 Problems

Post by Jay V »

: ...So I thought that, in my price range, and buying new to enjoy a manufacturer's guarantee, the IJ 35 was unbeatable value. I would like to hear more about your (experienced) thoughts on this, specifically on the guns possible problems, and whether is worth going for it.

Any good dealer/distributor should stand behind a new gun, especially if it has a safety issue like firing multiple shots. If you feel that you can deal with a good company you should not have a concern about buying an IJ. They should be able to fix any safety issues or give you a new gun. It is possible that the IJs don't have the same quality problems as the IZHs, and may not even be made by the same company.
A new problem (on the IZHs) that I have just heard about is the gun firing out of battery - that is before the slide is fully closed. It looks like the disconnector may letting the trigger bar move back into position before the slide is completely closed. Wouldn't happen unless you release the trigger again IMMEDIATELY the last shot was gone (unlikely) or had the trigger adjusted incorrectly. I have only seen 1 person have this problem.
Overall the gun is worth the price in my opinion, even with a few rough edges.

Jay
IL

jverg-at-att.net.43670.43638
Steve

Post by Steve »

I just sent my IZH 35 back to EAA (USA distributor) because of occasional doubling. Other than that, I like it a lot. I don't know what they shoot in Russia for ammo, there may very well be the right ammo that won't cause any problems, but I don't want to tie myself into special ammo just for this gun.
I did do a little polishing of the secondary sear, but to be fair the gun did work ok out of the box. Assuming that EAA fixes it (my understanding is that they know what to do), I don't expect any other problems. I know several people that own them, and they are all pretty happy.
I don't like the idea of sending back a new gun with such a serious problem (along with a significant bill for shipping) but if it works when it gets back I still think it's a pretty good deal for what you get. I'll post my results when I get it back.
Steve.
tenex-at-sbcglobal.net.43748.43638
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

http://www.wcwinc.org/range/IZHfix.htm
The above address is to a site that has some imformation as to the doubling problem, they seemt to think that its the very sharp firing pin, reboundng, (it has no return spring) and have modified the firing pin, seems like it might be the answer. Ive been debating on buying one, but every time i convince myself, i read another post on the doubling, would really like to talk to someone that is knowledgeable on this gun. Maybe this fix is the answer.
Jerry

: I just sent my IZH 35 back to EAA (USA distributor) because of occasional doubling. Other than that, I like it a lot. I don't know what they shoot in Russia for ammo, there may very well be the right ammo that won't cause any problems, but I don't want to tie myself into special ammo just for this gun.
: I did do a little polishing of the secondary sear, but to be fair the gun did work ok out of the box. Assuming that EAA fixes it (my understanding is that they know what to do), I don't expect any other problems. I know several people that own them, and they are all pretty happy.
: I don't like the idea of sending back a new gun with such a serious problem (along with a significant bill for shipping) but if it works when it gets back I still think it's a pretty good deal for what you get. I'll post my results when I get it back.
: Steve.

nthe10ring-at-aol.com.43792.43748
Lou F.

Post by Lou F. »

I had the same problem with my IZH 35 doubling and full auto. Sent it to the factory and it has worked great ever sense. It was a head space problem. Tried the firing pin fix with no luck.
For the money this is one of the best values anywhere. My shoots lights out with Wolf Match Targer.
Lou
loufreitag-at-aol.com.43830.43638
Carl S. Richardson

Post by Carl S. Richardson »

: http://www.wcwinc.org/range/IZHfix.htm
would really like to talk to someone that is knowledgeable on this gun. Maybe this fix is the answer.
The firing pin fix is not the answer. If yours doubles, send it back to them, let them move the barrel forward in the trigger block enough to give sufficient clearence for the thickest (usually Federal) rims, and that will fix the problem. Not everyone has a problem with it.
DO NOT TAMPER WITH ANYTHING YOURSELF, OR THEY WILL NOT FIX ANYTHING UNDER WARRANTY. They will fix it, but it will cost you another thirty bucks or so, depending on what they replace. I did the firing pin mod to no avail, and because of that I had to pay for the repair. They will adjust the trigger back to the factory settings, BTW.
The customer service people were kind to me, but they have no latitude in the policies of the company.
Even with the extra expense of the shipping and the cost of the otherwise free warranty repairs the pistol is well worth the price. I regularly win over shooters with all the other highly touted pistols, but there are a few shooters that I still haven't defeated. There is a moral in there somewhere.
FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO
C.S.
mimmp-at-castlegate.net.43847.43792