NCAA college air rifle score analysis

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

PaulB

NCAA college air rifle score analysis

Post by PaulB »

I just did a little analysis. In the 2005-2006 school year the first 600 air rifle score was fired in collegiate competition. Before this year (2021-22) there were a total of 12 600's fired. This year, there have thus far been 6 more. The top 20 air rifle averages this school year, as of 2/6/22, are 593.6 to 598.1. This year there have been 16 599's and 21 598's fired by the top 20 shooters.

There are currently 55 shooters averaging 590 or above. In 2005-06 only 3 shooters averaged 590+. In 2009-10 it was 5. In 2014-15 there were 11 and in 2018-19 there were 25.

Of all the scores (189) fired this year by the current top 20 shooters, 99 scores, or 52% have been 596 or greater. Of the 189 scores, only 9 (or <5%) have been below 590. The #1 shooter has a minimum score of 597, and for #2 it is 596.

What might have led to this significant improvement in the last 3-5 years? Better equipment? Better coaching? More competition opportunities? Something else?

For a "way back" comparison, in 1974 I was one of the first collegiate shooters to even shoot air rifle. In 1974 the NRA gave a "high collegiate" award at the US International Championships, which I won with a score of 354 out of 400 on the old pre-1989 target with a 1mm 10 dot, vs 0.5mm now. {Note, we were shooting outside, in the wind, in the desert, north of Phoenix, in June}
Dan P

Re: NCAA college air rifle score analysis

Post by Dan P »

I think it is a combination of all of the things that you mentioned. Scores have always been going up. It wasn't all that long ago that the scores on the international stage got so high that they needed to go to decimal scoring so that they didn't need to do mass tie breakers at 598ish for the finals.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Not a shooter but a coach. So take with a grain of salt-

A lot of the increase in the score has to be (sometimes you just have to admit it) a positive improvement of the sport by ISSF in bringing decimal scoring to the game. No longer are 10.0s cutting it in the International game, and most of the shooters in the NCAA are also International shooters as well ...
(Way) Back then in integer scoring, even if you shot all 10.0 that is a 600 (yea!!!!) - today a 600.0 in decimal is something that is nothing at all to get excited about.
10.5 - barely alive .... in the realm of the top International top shooters MUST today. Over 60 shots that half point (or more!) adds up quickly

Talk to the NCAA shooters today and they will tell you that moving from NCAA matches and training sessions to getting ready for International competitions is a whole different mindset, and my opinion is that those shooters that can shoot a 600 integer are more easily able to keep the International mindset while going back and forth between the two formats.

<<<All you high school coaches --- TRAIN in decimal!!>>> Your favorite collegiate coaches will thank you!
==============
I suspect you would see a similar, but not quite as large of an average score increase in 3x20 smallbore if that event went full decimal. Not as much (again my opinion) as there is a larger degree of variation with smallbore gun/ammo matching than air rifle gun/ammo pairing ...
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

Equipment- the lower palma rest, essentially these are now free rifles that fit the shooters very well. Head positions are upright with higher sight blocks and the rifles are held lower for lower center of gravity.

Give any of the best 600 score shooters a FWB 601, I bet their score would be sub 590. Maybe I am wrong.

It is crazy good the aggs that are being shot now by so many individuals.
groverdog1

Post by groverdog1 »

removing the poured concrete pants could make the sport interesting
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

It would be interesting to see what kind of scores would be shot by today's top shooters using no special shooting pants and a jacket with no stiffness at all (like the old 10-X models with leather shell and corduroy liner).
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Another 600 fired today by Air Force Academy Freshman Lauren Hurley!
Xman

Post by Xman »

PaulB wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:24 am It would be interesting to see what kind of scores would be shot by today's top shooters using no special shooting pants and a jacket with no stiffness at all (like the old 10-X models with leather shell and corduroy liner).
+1 to the comment.

Thank most the higher scores to the never ending equipment race.

Bring back wood. But it will never happen.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Just a thought; Anybody on the PGA using 1950 equipment? Any tennis players using tennis rackets made with materials from the last century at Wimbledon? NASCAR? Embrace modern technology….except for electronics! I hate that stuff. You won’t catch me owning that junk. Uh, I borrow this iphone from my Grandma.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

rgibson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:56 am Just a thought; Anybody on the PGA using 1950 equipment? Any tennis players using tennis rackets made with materials from the last century
Cycling: Still has the "Hour Record" using tech strictly from 1972 - matching Eddy Merck's effort at that time = 49.431km.

All other attempts now are considered "Best Human Effort."

Perhaps I'll set an equivalent benchmark with my Feinwerkbau 300 and integer scoring.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Curious; were the bikes carbon fiber in 1972 and weigh the equivalent of a Bazooka Joe gum wrapper? Is that what they are using today for that hour record? Inquiring minds want to know.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

Electronic scoring brought with it shooting at a single target instead of moving around the ten bulls or changing target faces. This gave much better feedback on position and hold. The rest is all of the other improvements just adding to the rise in scores.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

Electronic scoring brought with it shooting at a single target instead of moving around the ten bulls or changing target faces. This gave much better feedback on position and hold. The rest is all of the other improvements just adding to the rise in scores.