IZH 35M

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Tony

IZH 35M

Post by Tony »

Hello to All,
I am a left-handed shooter and would like to hear from some other left-hand shooters regarding (from what I am reading)this fine rimfire pistol.
Are left-handed gribs readily available for the pistol? Is the trigger offset (canted)for a right-handed shooter? What is the latest on manufacturing quality control and also customer service from EAA?
Does anyone know if there are any gunsmiths in/near the SW Virgina area that are working on these pistols? Or can one do it himself? I am interested in bullseye shooting and currently I am shooting a S.S. MK II 678 Gov. Target. Contrary to what I most often hear, I do not find the Ruger difficult to completely strip, clean and reassemble (after a few tries and approximately 20,000 rounds).
Can the same fun be had with the Baikal IZH-35? Is there a chrome version? Does anyone know if there is IZH-35 forum?
Any comments will be most appriciated.
Thanks,
Tony
trakennedy-at-inetone.net.43624.0
Bob Riegl

IZH 35M -Redux

Post by Bob Riegl »

I had one and played with it for about six months---don't expect too much from it. I managed to adjust the trigger to something close to what I wanted---disabled the grip safety-installed Morini grips and DJ precision parts---but after all is said and done---it is typical Russian manufacture, crude---EAA ain't the friendliest of people IMHO---parts are a problem---screws keep stripping and breaking their slots---all that said it does shoot remarkably well---but, I moved on to bigger and better. They (IZH35M) do have some idiosyncracies, such as doubling which requires a little bit of playing around. Sight adjustments can be problematic unless you make some parts replacements. Also my sights (front) were cock eyed and needed some fiddling tostraighten up. Too much fussing around and producing an iffy gun with some inherent problems. Your Ruger is a worthy bullseye gun and I would only consider the IZH if you like to "fool" around with a second or back-up gun.IMHO
Luis Alberto

Re: IZH 35M -Redux

Post by Luis Alberto »

I'm sorry to butt in, but I'm considering buying one, and I'm not familiar with the term 'doubling'. What does it actually mean?
Thanks.

lregalado-at-mixmail.com.43626.43625
Jay V

Re: IZH 35M

Post by Jay V »

: Hello to All,
: I am a left-handed shooter and would like to hear from some other left-hand shooters regarding (from what I am reading)this fine rimfire pistol.
: Are left-handed gribs readily available for the pistol? Is the trigger offset (canted)for a right-handed shooter? What is the latest on manufacturing quality control and also customer service from EAA?

The grips had been in-stock at I.S.S., but they may have run into problems getting them lately. The trigger is not offset. The QC can be spotty, but seems to be getting better. New guns can ocassionally double (fire 2 or more shots - "auto") but it's not as likely as with the older ones. Not many IZHs like Federal ammo, and some that have been fine will double with it. EAA "customer service" can be a problem, but they seem to eventually take care of things.
Below is a copy of a previous post about LH IZHs.
"They do not make a LH IZH-35M, but you can convert one to LH with a few items. As recommended, the Walther KSP-200 LH grips are a good way to go. Morini also makes LH grips for the IZH (actually the IJ-35M - the IZH was made for the US market). Best place to get the grips is I.S.S. (877)595-2090. They are about $100 for the Walthers and roughly $200 for the Morini. The Morini is cut a bit better for larger hands, and has more adjustability, the Walther is better for smaller hands. The Walther is a 1-piece grip.
To use these grips you must change the side-mounted mag release to the IJ-style bottom release by using the DJ Precision IZH bottom magazine release. Look at http://user.mc.net/~drweber/ under IZH accessories.
The bottom mag release is also a big help if you are putting a set of RH grips on the gun, otherwise you need to mark and drill a hole for the mag release button - which is a real pain."

Jay

jverg-at-att.net.43633.43624
Jerry

Re: IZH 35M -Redux

Post by Jerry »

Doubling means the gun has a tendacy to fire a second shot without you pulling the trigger, and there have been reports of it going full auto and emptying the mag. Ive been considering one for a while, and I think they could be a good gun, but this problem worries me, and I understand that EAA aent the easiest people to work with on warranty problems.
: I'm sorry to butt in, but I'm considering buying one, and I'm not familiar with the term 'doubling'. What does it actually mean?
: Thanks.

nthe10ring-at-aol.com.43658.43626