returning to an old sport - videos?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

resume49

returning to an old sport - videos?

Post by resume49 »

Folks, I am trying to return to sport I started as a teenager. Upside, it was fun. Downside, the coaching was minimal, and poor. Through the years I have flown by the seat of my pants in smallbore and NRA HP on a local level.

To take this up again on a rational basis I would welcome suggestions for specifically shooting offhand. Having a basement I can dryfire my ancient 1911 Anschutz 54 for practice at 30 feet with a target I have reduced.

Are there videos "out there" which are valid ways to move forward?

Books are fine, but I believe at this moment, they may be dated given current practice.

Suggestions and corrections are welcome.

RS49
rgibson

Re: returning to an old sport - videos?

Post by rgibson »

Just a suggestion; do a search on this site for Ginny Thrasher and you will find a post of hers from November 02, 2021 in “Olympic Rifle-Air and Smallbore” section. Ms. Thrasher offered videos and other help. She also included her email and might know a thing or twelve.

Also, never underestimate the power of a good book.
Rifle, Steps to Success. Launi Meili ( Olympic medalist)
New Position Rifle Shooting. Bill Pullum (Olympic Coach) and Frank Hanenkrat, PhD
resume49

Post by resume49 »

Mr. Gibson,
Thank you for the information, it will be eagerly checked out.

Until I can keep the dryfire snick of the firing pin in the black I don't want to get books, as they always involve a translation factor to action. However, the reference is noted and will be utilized down the road.

I feel it best at this point to get basics squared away and spend time each day behind the gun.

RS49
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

The Juniors and I use drywall anchors (4-6-8 size) to dry-fire. They help protect the firing pin. We don’t repeatedly hit the same part of the rim. We only use each one five times and they eject like a .22 round. Good shooting!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

resume49 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:11 pm Mr. Gibson,
Thank you for the information, it will be eagerly checked out.

Until I can keep the dryfire snick of the firing pin in the black I don't want to get books, as they always involve a translation factor to action. However, the reference is noted and will be utilized down the road.

I feel it best at this point to get basics squared away and spend time each day behind the gun.

RS49
Rs49,

If you can't keep your dry firing in the bull, reading books now might help more than you think. If you were giving minimal coaching as a beginner, how do you know that your current technique is something you want to drill and repeat? You may be on the right track, and just rusty from lack of practise, but you might also be reinforcing errors you don't know that you're making. You need the theory to understand this, and recognise any errors. You want to train, not just practise.

The Launi Meili book is good, and is written simply for beginners. Obviously it won't offer exact guidance for your body shape, but this forum (with photos) is a great place to ask how to translate the theory to your body and equipment. The rifle forum has many threads on basic set-up and technique, if you want to read these and compare to your own.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
resume49

Post by resume49 »

To all that have replied, a heart felt thank you! Your multiple suggestions have been beyond helpful, and on investigation, insightful as it seems the minimal coaching I have had has not been bad on technique. Time with me as an individual has been poor. Mental training and guidance, utterly lacking/non-existent.
So now to move on as I am able! The personal challenge remains fun.
RS49