Sporter Class

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mikeb1

Sporter Class

Post by mikeb1 »

Good morning everyone,

Hope things are going well.

I've noticed that in the US the CMP and NRA run a 'sporter class' version of 10m air rifle with more simple equipment. Is this actually an ISSF sanctioned/endorsed thing or something they just do on there own? If it isn't, it seems reasonably popular and ISSF may be making a mistake not picking it up - particularly when we have dwindling numbers of shooters? Or is it just there's no interest in shooting it outside on the US and maybe a few others?(I notice that something similar appears in one of the NRA UK rulebooks)

It seems like it would be good to bring in shooters that either can't afford or don't want to spend thousands of dollars on gear to shoot at anything above the club practice level. Particularly juniors who would have to buy a new shooting suit every few years while they are growing.

Apologies if this has been covered before and I am just recovering the same ground.
jhmartin

Re: Sporter Class

Post by jhmartin »

Mike --- yes this is covered in many old posts, but it is OK to review it over again .... new folks don't know what is there and reallly don't know what to search on ... so no problem.

3-P Air is really very popular in the USA and South Africa if you can believe that.
Is is a version of shooting begun by the CMP to get folks into shooting w/o an extreme expense. It is meant as a "carrot" in that the next step in the 3-P Air sport is the Precision category. Thus Sporter & Precision,
The NRA version of the sport is very similar and they jumped into it seeing how popular it was ... Now however NRA is not doing much with competitions ... stick with the CMP.

The most common organization in the USA for 3-P Air (both Sporter & Precision) is the JROTC programs in the high schools. Depending where you are from it will be very popular or almost nonexistent (i.e. in CA) in the high schools. There are also Clubs (such as 4-H in many states) that also shoot the program as well as Clubs with youth programs as well. As ISSF changes their rules, sorta somewhat does CMP in their precision rules as well ... some of those rules trickle down to Sporter too.

If you have not researched it too much go to the CMP website and hit the 3PAR page.
https://thecmp.org/youth/

Feel free to ask questions on this - there are many on Target Talk that have run kids thru this program and have years of experience to help you along. Most of the trouble on getting a youth program set up is learning what questions to ask.
Spencer

Re: Sporter Class

Post by Spencer »

Short answer - it is not an ISSF event.