Rifle Accessories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

imadoctornota

Rifle Accessories

Post by imadoctornota »

What are must-have accessories for 3P ISSF rifle? I am purchasing a Pardini FR22 and accessories I have been offered include:
-Extra rear sights
-Extra tunnels
-Short and/or long barrel extension
-Elevation kit for rear and front sights
-Weight holder and weights
-Specialized case for this modular rifle

I can see the immediate benefit of having the extra rear sights and I will likely need the elevation kit because I have a big head. Does anyone have comments on these?
pdeal

Re: Rifle Accessories

Post by pdeal »

Extra sights are by no means must have's, not really even needs. Extra front apertures, riser blocks yes these. Not extra sights.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Having a dedicated sight (and raisers if needed) for each position would save time in finals, where you're changing against the clock. At first, one sight will do. You'll be clicking for wind/light each time anyway.

It's not on your list, but a rearsight iris is a very useful, if not essential, piece of kit. Built-in colour filters and polarised lenses can help with maintaining a consistent sight picture, but aren't must haves. You'll also need a selection of foresight elements, to find good sizes for each position, typically you'll want to larger aperture for standing as your hold is less stable. And with time you may want to experiment with aperture size/thickness for varying light conditions too.

Don't forget cleaning kit too. Don't skimp on the rod; a good quality one-piece spring steel rod (coated or polished, it's up to you) is much cheaper than a new barrel.
Last edited by Tim S on Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imadoctornota

Post by imadoctornota »

Saving money rather than buying extra sights if they won't necessarily add much benefit as I continue to gain proficiency with standing and kneeling (my prone position has plateaued in score using club rifles with club ammo) sounds like a plan. Getting an adjustable iris sounds like a great investment, particularly as I have been reading of its benefits in Ways of the Rifle 2009. Can I assume that a purchased iris will fit into the sights that come with the rifle or should I wait to measure it?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

imadoctornota wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:30 pm Can I assume that a purchased iris will fit into the sights that come with the rifle or should I wait to measure it?
Yes you can. Anschutz, Centra, FWB, Gehmann, Gruenig, Haemmerli, and Walther sights all have the same thread for the eyepiece: 9.5x1mm. Unless you dig up some old British Parker-Hale, US Redfield, or Cold War era Soviet sights, most match rifles use that thread. Walther seem to have started it, adopting a British Standard Cycle thread (3/8in×26), then Anschutz and the others followed. A Gehmann iris will fit a Centra sight, and vice versa, ditto for Anschutz and Walther branded units (often made by Centra anyway).

Gehmann do offer a couple of non-standard threads as an alternative, but you have to ask for these. Vendors will default to the standard.